Please help diagnose I think its flukes?

Aggressive240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really need so help with what to do. I seen my fish scratching but it was very rare so I decided to observe them. it went from being once a day that I seen to now 4 of them scratching. I have tried catching them to put into QT and FW dip

but theres to much room to hide and the aquarium is 8x2x2 so its tough. I was going to dose the display with Prazipro but read that my blonde Naso wont survive the treatment. So I have been feeding metroplex with focus for the last 3 days now but today my wife sent me this video of the clown tang having what looks like a good size bruise??? I have General cure but have yet to switch over to that rather than Metro. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any treatment advice, but uploading your video (white lights - no blue) to YouTube and posting the link here will ensure the video can be seen. Most people won’t be able to see the video in your post on a mobile device.

Water parameters are always helpful

And #fishmedic will get the experts attention.

Good luck.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm where did you hear your blonde naso won’t survive prazi? I’ve dosed it a few times to my display without any issues! Ruby rally pro also and no issues with fish or corals including high end sps… if you choose to use prazi just make sure you keep your o2 levels up by running the skimmer without the cup and using a airstone if needed.

OP
OP
A

Aggressive240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have any treatment advice, but uploading your video (white lights - no blue) to YouTube and posting the link here will ensure the video can be seen. Most people won’t be able to see the video in your post on a mobile device.

Water parameters are always helpful

And #fishmedic will get the experts attention.

Good luck.
Thank you JayM. Here is a link to the video. Unfortunately trying to explain to my wife how to shut down the blue on the lights has proven difficult. Water parameters are Ammonia .2 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0 ph 8.09 temp 77.3 calcium 410 magnesium 870 Phosphates 0 Alk 8.5

I have tried increasing Nitrates but nothing is working. My LFS said my macros are consuming all of it faster than its being made.

#fishmedic

OP
OP
A

Aggressive240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm where did you hear your blonde naso won’t survive prazi? I’ve dosed it a few times to my display without any issues! Ruby rally pro also and no issues with fish or corals including high end sps… if you choose to use prazi just make sure you keep your o2 levels up by running the skimmer without the cup and using a airstone if needed.
I googled Prazipro and every fish in the aquarium to be safe and when I got to the Naso it was full of people claiming theirs died and got cloudy eyes within a couplie of days of starting the treatment. Im so torn on trying Prazi in the display or just ride out the medicated feedings?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I googled Prazipro and every fish in the aquarium to be safe and when I got to the Naso it was full of people claiming theirs died and got cloudy eyes within a couplie of days of starting the treatment. Im so torn on trying Prazi in the display or just ride out the medicated feedings?
Medicated feedings are difficult - since you can easily overdose or underdose the fish, depending on how you measure the food, and how much they eat (or don't eat). You should use Prazipro. I personally didn't see much 'scratching' in the video. I didn't see the bruise on the clown. But your initial question was do the fish have flukes. Can you give some more information - when you got them, whether they all got symptoms at the same time, whether there are any that are new, etc. If you could get a good picture of the clown that would be great

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d wait for the experts just to be sure, but the only threads I’ve seen with Prazi and poor outcomes with any fish were mostly due to dosing other meds with the Prazi, or not adding adequate aeration.

I know a hippo tang isn’t the same, but I treated mine for flukes with Prazipro and he was fine. Never even noticed a reduced appetite as is common with Prazipro.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There has also been a series of deaths with blonde naso tangs - shortly after purchase - so it may have nothing to do with prazipro (likely does not)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso tangs have a bad rep the last year and it’s not from Prazipro.. how ever they’re being collected is the issue with them not lasting long and dying… my naso was perfectly fine through prazi as was my other 7 tangs including a gem.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry, one more question - did you treat any of the fish with copper?

OP
OP
A

Aggressive240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Medicated feedings are difficult - since you can easily overdose or underdose the fish, depending on how you measure the food, and how much they eat (or don't eat). You should use Prazipro. I personally didn't see much 'scratching' in the video. I didn't see the bruise on the clown. But your initial question was do the fish have flukes. Can you give some more information - when you got them, whether they all got symptoms at the same time, whether there are any that are new, etc. If you could get a good picture of the clown that would be great
Sorry the scratching seems to have calmed a bit since the medicated food started. Here is a link to the full video

The clown tang has a dark spot right behind his head towards the top of his body. Here is the full length video.

At first it was my 6 inch sailfin that would scratch but then a few others started and that seem to be after the addition of a racoon butterfly who also scratches here and there. these fish have been in the aquarium since early October of this year. Two weeks in between the sailfin purchase and then adding the Racoon. The naso and Hippo as well as my 7 inch Niger trigger (seemed to have it the worst basically barrel rolling through he sand) All would scratch and the naso even stopped eating for a week but now those 3 have really stopped all scratching and eat like pigs.

OP
OP
A

Aggressive240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Naso tangs have a bad rep the last year and it’s not from Prazipro.. how ever they’re being collected is the issue with them not lasting long and dying… my naso was perfectly fine through prazi as was my other 7 tangs including a gem.
Thats awesome and gives my high hopes as I feel the only way I can resolve this is by dosing the display with Prazi

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No i have nto treated any of them with copper other than whatever the LFS was dosing
It is possible that some of these symptoms are from another disease - so I would carefully watch for worsening/no improvement with Prazipro. Additionally, you need to increase oxygenation, stop skimmer, follow instructions on the preparation you're using. Watch carefully for any signs of velvet or ich - which would require copper in a hospital tank.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry the scratching seems to have calmed a bit since the medicated food started. Here is a link to the full video

The clown tang has a dark spot right behind his head towards the top of his body. Here is the full length video.

At first it was my 6 inch sailfin that would scratch but then a few others started and that seem to be after the addition of a racoon butterfly who also scratches here and there. these fish have been in the aquarium since early October of this year. Two weeks in between the sailfin purchase and then adding the Racoon. The naso and Hippo as well as my 7 inch Niger trigger (seemed to have it the worst basically barrel rolling through he sand) All would scratch and the naso even stopped eating for a week but now those 3 have really stopped all scratching and eat like pigs.

I cannot see the clown. However, do you have any coral, etc - that might have stung the fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I really need so help with what to do. I seen my fish scratching but it was very rare so I decided to observe them. it went from being once a day that I seen to now 4 of them scratching. I have tried catching them to put into QT and FW dip

but theres to much room to hide and the aquarium is 8x2x2 so its tough. I was going to dose the display with Prazipro but read that my blonde Naso wont survive the treatment. So I have been feeding metroplex with focus for the last 3 days now but today my wife sent me this video of the clown tang having what looks like a good size bruise??? I have General cure but have yet to switch over to that rather than Metro. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Metroplex + Focus won't work unless you calculate the dosage correctly, and then, it isn't effective against external parasites.

If this is flukes (and it seems to be) then a prazipro treatment would be warranted. Naso tangs are fine with that treatment.

General cure is a better option (not reef safe though). Dose it once, then 8 days later, do a 25% water change and dose it again. turn off UV and run any skimmer, but don't collect the skimmate.

Jay

OP
OP
A

Aggressive240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot see the clown. However, do you have any coral, etc - that might have stung the fish?
Its the Clown Tang in the video, I do have corals but he had been thrashing against the rocks and sand pretty hard recently. The others seem to have made progress in the right direction but unfortunately he seems to be doing worse.
1702676402026.png

OP
OP
A

Aggressive240

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Metroplex + Focus won't work unless you calculate the dosage correctly, and then, it isn't effective against external parasites.

If this is flukes (and it seems to be) then a prazipro treatment would be warranted. Naso tangs are fine with that treatment.

General cure is a better option (not reef safe though). Dose it once, then 8 days later, do a 25% water change and dose it again. turn off UV and run any skimmer, but don't collect the skimmate.

Jay
Thank you Jay. I will start the Prazipro tonight.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its the Clown Tang in the video, I do have corals but he had been thrashing against the rocks and sand pretty hard recently. The others seem to have made progress in the right direction but unfortunately he seems to be doing worse.
1702676402026.png
APOLOGIES - I somehow read it as a maroon clown - my total mistake. That fish looks like it is is rough shape - though I understand that you can't remove them. I would consider something like Ruby Reef Pro in your display tank. Though that spot looks like an injury - it also looks like the fins are ragged, and - just not a healthy fish (obviously flukes can do this as well)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 51 34.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 39 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 19.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back