Please help diagnosis why fish are dying for 2 years

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for taking the time to respond. I really do appreciate it! Could this be caused by stray voltage? I am getting 45ish readings from the tank. Working on that now.

There is a subtle difference between "stray voltage" and "induced voltage". 45 volts is pretty high, but it could just be induced voltage (like from a magnetic drive pump). That will not harm the fish, as there is no potential, no current flow through their bodies as they are not grounded. True stray voltage, where there is a electrical malfunction is a serious safety issue for you and I have seen that cause issues with fish. If your tank is all connected through a GFCI, that won't be an issue.

Jay

Piscans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
File shows either injury or bacterial infection.
What test kits are you using as false results will be a problem. Additionally, if you have coral/live rock, you may have a worm such as eunice/bobbit hunting them at night without your knowledge.
I urge you to recheck your water quality by taking a good size water sample to a trusted LFS that does not use Api kits and see what readings they come up with and to compare with yours.
yeah it looks like an injury. i dont think it could be an eunice/bobbit cause the rock that comes from their habitat is illegal to get & also, you would see a bobbit on coral

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
yeah it looks like an injury. i dont think it could be an eunice/bobbit cause the rock that comes from their habitat is illegal to get & also, you would see a bobbit on coral
Actually bobbits come as hitchhikers and Hide very well often hunting at night and often caught by surprise. They dont come on a special rock.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a subtle difference between "stray voltage" and "induced voltage". 45 volts is pretty high, but it could just be induced voltage (like from a magnetic drive pump). That will not harm the fish, as there is no potential, no current flow through their bodies as they are not grounded. True stray voltage, where there is a electrical malfunction is a serious safety issue for you and I have seen that cause issues with fish. If your tank is all connected through a GFCI, that won't be an issue.

Jay
I connected a grounding probe and the voltage went away. When I take the voltage of each piece of equipment, the pump, the powerhead AND the heater all show voltage in the 15-30 range.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I connected a grounding probe and the voltage went away. When I take the voltage of each piece of equipment, the pump, the powerhead AND the heater all show voltage in the 15-30 range.
If the heater shows voltage when it is not energized, that could be a problem. Pumps and powerheads produce induced voltage and that isn't a health issue for fish or people.

Jay

GARRIGA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assuming predators at work then why not leave food out at night such as a large sinking pellet then use a UV light with all others lights out in the room and go hunting. Leaving a dead fish also works but if you have Nassarius that may not last long.

Perhaps placing bait in a Bristol worm trap might help capture the predators. I’m assuming these attackers are big enough to spot.

could also try inexpensive fish from two or three other LFS or convert mollies to saltwater as they wouldn’t bring their own pathogens, are Hardy and can be given away later since many use them for algae control.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am leaning away from predators. The fish aren't disappearing. They're dying. They look like they are unhappy from the moment I put them in the tank. I will continue to look for predators, but that isn't topping my list.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 41 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 148 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back