Please help id of infection and possible cures

Stefanfr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your time. I've scoured the internet to find a match with the symptoms i see on my hippo tang but unfortunately, with my inexperience, could not 100% ID the infection. I've tried making pictures with him free swimming but this was near impossible so I had to scoop him up. Below the best pictures I was able to take. He is very small I would say about 2 cm (0.75") so I fear it could be lethal quickly.

This "wound" is on one side only and I would say pretty recent, 2-3 days. He is currently in QT with Cupramine at 0.6 ppm (Hanna Checker), I've done 2 100% water changes apox. 2 weeks apart, from now on he has 5 days left for the full 30 days.

The qt tank is 60 liters (15 gal) with an ATO to ensure stability, sponge filter and airstore. The salinity is at 1.026. The Ammonia Alert is yellow and the waterchanges i've done when the color changed slightly. With him in QT are, a Acanthurus Triostegus (Convict tang), a Zebrasoma Veliferum (Sailfin tang) and a Siganus Virgatus. They seem perfectly healthy without any wounds or so. There has also never been any aggression between the tangs that I've seen.

1687538978517.png
1687539001228.png

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi All,

Thanks in advance for your time. I've scoured the internet to find a match with the symptoms i see on my hippo tang but unfortunately, with my inexperience, could not 100% ID the infection. I've tried making pictures with him free swimming but this was near impossible so I had to scoop him up. Below the best pictures I was able to take. He is very small I would say about 2 cm (0.75") so I fear it could be lethal quickly.

This "wound" is on one side only and I would say pretty recent, 2-3 days. He is currently in QT with Cupramine at 0.6 ppm (Hanna Checker), I've done 2 100% water changes apox. 2 weeks apart, from now on he has 5 days left for the full 30 days.

The qt tank is 60 liters (15 gal) with an ATO to ensure stability, sponge filter and airstore. The salinity is at 1.026. The Ammonia Alert is yellow and the waterchanges i've done when the color changed slightly. With him in QT are, a Acanthurus Triostegus (Convict tang), a Zebrasoma Veliferum (Sailfin tang) and a Siganus Virgatus. They seem perfectly healthy without any wounds or so. There has also never been any aggression between the tangs that I've seen.

1687538978517.png
1687539001228.png
This is indeed an injury and looks like it has become infected. They are shy fish and often dart into rocks and wedge themselves making them candidates for injury.
Treatment will help in a quarantine tank using seachem Kanaplex or maracyn 2 if no kanaplex with added aeration via air stone.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi All,

1687538978517.png
1687539001228.png
It looks like an infected injury - perhaps from some of the other tangs in the small tank. I would consider a broad spectrum antibiotic.

FWIW - it's often difficult to see 'whats going on' when the fish is out of water. Any other symptoms? Any other fish sick? Are your parameters ok. I see your copper is 0.6

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

1687538978517.png
1687539001228.png

+1, this looks like an injury. It takes just a split second for one fish to damage another, and you likely will not see it happen.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Stefanfr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you all for your input. I've been searching ever since for Kanaplex or maracyn 2. But unfortunately those products aren't allowed in the EU? I've been in multiple LFS which told me there is nothing i could do or recommended a non medical substance.

Is there an other, non antibiotics, way to help my fish? I've to say today it is looking a bit better.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks you all for your input. I've been searching ever since for Kanaplex or maracyn 2. But unfortunately those products aren't allowed in the EU? I've been in multiple LFS which told me there is nothing i could do or recommended a non medical substance.

Is there an other, non antibiotics, way to help my fish? I've to say today it is looking a bit better.

That is an issue in the EU and Canada, they restrict the sale of true antibiotics for use in aquariums. The problem then is that home aquarists are left with either using "tonics" that really don't do much, or just offering supportive care: make sure the fish is not kept with aggressive tankmates, has very good quality water, and is fed a high quality diet, in this case, multiple times a day. Then, the hope is the fish can recover on its own.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 38 30.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 36.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.0%
Back