tank.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 83

jabberkaycee

Aquatic Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano to me also. Is this limited to one area? Check your phosphates and nitrates and do frequent water changes. Make sure to use RO/DI water if possible and be sure to run a good skimmer. Lower your feeding until the problem goes away. It won't go away over night but if it stops spreading then you know you're on the right track. Sipon out as much as possible and run some carbon. I have battled this in the past and this combination worked for me, slowly but surely. Good luck!

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep it is Cyano, add some more flow to the area's of the tank where it is growing and that should help. What kind of skimmer do you have? How often do you do water changes and what percent? Do you use RO/DI?

OP
OP
F

frankiep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the help. i have a tuze 9011, yes i do have have ro/di water water change every 2 weeks i use tropic marin pro salt

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am unfamiliar with the skimmer but I bet if you just increase the flow in the area you may even see a big difference over night. In the mean time siphon out that stuff and use it as a nutrient export method.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the second and 3rd pic. it is Cyano bacteria. Not a bad thing to have, if it is in your sump, real ugly in the display. Like every one has said, increase flow. It may move to a different location in the tank too so you will have to keep adjusting. It is all part of a new tank running its course.

btkrausen

Fish Hoarder
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started geting Cyano in my tank from vodka dosing. It only showed up where there is little to no flow, so like others said, move your pumps around to get flow in that area :)

Br0ken68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I do that might help you. Whenever I get ready to do a water change, is I agitate my rockwork by gently waving my hands close to the rocks. This helps stir up any excess waste that may have settled on the rock, which will help lower phosphates and nitrates. I had a small outbreak of cyano and started doing this and it cured up in a week or so. But like others have said make sure you move your rocks and/or powerheads to eliminate any dead spots in your tank.

bulkhead

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 Br0ken68

You can also suck it off your rocks when you are doing a water change. It pulls away easily under the vacuum of the siphon house.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another thing to help clean detritus off the rocks is take a small power head and, driving it around with your hand, use its flow to suspend the dust in to the water column.

gweston

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano:

I had some of this stuff, the following got rid of it.

-Siphoned it whenever it appeared.
-Controlled fish feedings more (reduced nutrients). I was overfeeding.
-Started using a reactor with Carbon and GFO (filter socks weren't working too well)
-Raised PH range from 8.0-8.2 to 8.2-8.4 by dosing Kalkwasser. Side bonus, precipitates phosphates.
-Modified flow in display by adjusting powerheads so there were fewer dead spots. Cyano loves dead spots.

It can take some time, but a few changes, and some time, it can be reduced or eliminated.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 85 44.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back