Please Help!!!!

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a Linear blenny and its been nipping at my SPS. To be exact, he nipped a tiny bit of my Tyree Blue chalice(doesn't touch it at all anymore), started to nip my Miami Orchid, and he nipped my Purple Tip acro so bad that 90% of its skeleton is showing. It hasn't touched any of my other SPS.
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
saddy.gif
saddy.gif
How do I make him stop? His belly is a little pinched in, so I'm trying to feed him as much as possible. I have a small sea weed sheet in there and I threw in a bunch of my home made food. He is eating the home made food, but I really don't see him touching the sea weed. Someone please help! I don't want to loose my SPS.
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif
crybaby.gif

progress.gif

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I feed him and he eats quite a bit, he doesn't touch ANY coral at all. After a few hours he must have gotten hungry and that's when he starts nipping at the Miami Orchid or other sps.
crybaby.gif
I got him 3 days ago.
progress.gif

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with my bicolor. There was a great article on all the blennies in the hobby in coral magazine several months back. Even well fed many blennies will still nip at corals. Mine was destroying several monti frags. So one day when he went to sleep in his rock, i pulled the whole rock out of the water, shook him out and placed him in my zoa tank.

Dihydrogen Monoxide

Deliquescent Reefkeeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you actually seen the fish nipping? If you are certain that the fish is the issue then just feed 3 or 4 times a day. Don't feed more food just the same quantity over the day just less food more often.

Best of luck, personally I would try to get it out if he is the monster ;)

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think I should do? Give him back? I called the LFS that I got him from and they said they will give me 100% credit back, or I can trade him in for another fish.
progress.gif

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you actually seen the fish nipping? If you are certain that the fish is the issue then just feed 3 or 4 times a day. Don't feed more food just the same quantity over the day just less food more often.

Best of luck, personally I would try to get it out if he is the monster ;)
Yes, I've cough him red handed and so did my dad! Well, not red handed, but red finned!(fish don't have hands, they have fins)

ahayes13

In a reefin' haze
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i also think i would just return it to the store. chances are if hes nipping it wont quit...

OP
OP
Coral Keeper

Coral Keeper

Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I CAUGHT THE LITTLE SUCKER!!! YAHOOOOOO!!!!
party.gif
party.gif
party.gif
party.gif
To tell you the truth, I kinda feel bad for him for some reason. lol He is sitting in my 8 gallon nonphoto bio cube for now. Maybe I should give him one more chance in the 8 gall biocube? lol There isn't much rock in there any ways. About 4 lb or so. So, it will be super easy to catch him out. What do you all think? Should I give him one more chance or trade him in for a different fish?

sleeper

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trade, unless your biocube is zoa, and softie only, I think they are much more likely to develop a liking for SPS than other corals but if there are any SPS in the biocube I would just take him back.

R

reef-nut

View Badges
I have a bi-color and he never bothers my coral, but I do not have LPS or SPS, they are all softies. If he is doing it, he will not stop. I would trade for something else at your LFS or to another reefer. You have alreday lost way more than he is worth. I would get a midas, they are my favorite bleeny.

Back