Please look here, Wetside defects.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Sabellafella

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Following along....Ecotech?? This seems like a big issue an I would like to see their reply to this ....
Yea well as much as ecotech has manufactured some wonderfull stuff for this community, they dont stand behind their products on forums amd social media for some odd reason.

Almost All saltwater equipment sits running in saltwater almost 24/7 so of course stuff will break. But this problem has been going on for years upon years now, and i agree the wetside should 100% be warranted IF they dont feel like fixing this issue. They know its a reoccurring problem, and are going through the hastle to make things right with customers.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever own a store it sounds like Tunze and Eheim all the way. I have customers who have old Tunze air cooled pumps still going after 20 years same with Eheim canisters. There seems to be a problem with products made in China under license to other companies. One reason I bagged a container load of glass tanks that I was about to order.

I would love to see products made top to bottom here in the U.S. or at least North America that would bring back the quality control. Off shoreing these products seems to be a problem. I know it would be expensive to start but with great engineering and standing behind the product it would seem to be a good idea. After all it seems companies like Reef Savvy, Synergy Reef, Turbo Aquatics, Artfully Acrylic and others are all providing innovative products that are made right here. Love that!:):D

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had my original Mp40's for years have sold them on and they are still going strong... Had Mp40qd since they came out in the U.K. and they are great... Will I keep and eye now of course but won't be worrying about them...

sn2per

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea well as much as ecotech has manufactured some wonderfull stuff for this community, they dont stand behind their products on forums amd social media for some odd reason.

Almost All saltwater equipment sits running in saltwater almost 24/7 so of course stuff will break. But this problem has been going on for years upon years now, and i agree the wetside should 100% be warranted IF they dont feel like fixing this issue. They know its a reoccurring problem, and are going through the hastle to make things right with customers.

This is an Ecotech forum but it's not run by Ecotech. Nothing to say people aren't watching... but they don't run or admin this group... I do.

OP
OP
bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well alittle update. After doing massive water changes and running some meta sorb, a few of my sps is starting to kick back up.

And to think loosing one coral after another I was going to give up and throw in the towel. After loosing 20 pieces I gave up on maintaining the tank. But now that I see light at the end of the tunnel I feel better about having the tank again!
046779F0-047D-4284-BAA0-FA18720F4402_zpsn185zc3b.jpg

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well alittle update. After doing massive water changes and running some meta sorb, a few of my sps is starting to kick back up.

And to think loosing one coral after another I was going to give up and throw in the towel. After loosing 20 pieces I gave up on maintaining the tank. But now that I see light at the end of the tunnel I feel better about having the tank again!
I tried to hook up a mp40qd last night.
Bought this off a r2r member here:I

20170225_203504.jpeg
Bought this off a r2r member here:

20170225_203504.jpeg
Bought this off a r2r member here:

20170225_203504.jpeg

When people are buying Vortech's second hand they really should ask to see picks of the wetside taken apart. I bought one, added it to my tank and started having issues with SPS shortly after.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hopefully, I have the same luck. Been struggling with SPS for a few months wondering what was happening. Many corals just seemed irritated, lots of sliming, decreasing amounts of PE. Many would perk up after a WC and then after a few days start to look worse. Took apart my MP10s and found the wetside casing surrounding the propeller was cracked in 3 places with what looked like rust at each crack. The impeller had a rusty looking crack as well. Did a few big WC, added some Poly Filter. I guess from now only time will tell. I have lost most of my SPS with the birdnest going first and now most Acropora. Many are partially still alive with some algae growing on dead areas. Most slowly seemed to lose PE, then color, some experienced STN from base and most recently, an Aussie Highliter had STN from tips. We'll see if anthing comes back. Placing a call to Ecotech tomorrow!

OP
OP
bobssecrtsn

bobssecrtsn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will honestly say this is a real disappointment for ecotech. This thing is barely used, and it also has grease around the base area? I hope it was reef safe. Will be contacting ecotech tomorrow.

What the heck is going on? I didn't drop it or anything. But what I didn't check is when it arrived.

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just talked to Ecotech and they of course will not admit to this being an issue even though I know they probably hear this quite a bit. My unit was out of warranty and after some push back they were willing to discount a new wet side slightly.

nitro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I just switched from apex to a couple of mp10s. I loved the apex power heads but they are very strong and hard to dial in on a 50 gallon tank. I wish they would make a smaller size so they can be used in smaller applications..

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And here's the new wet side straight from ecotech replacing the rusty one. Barely 24hrs use. It was making a weirdnoise so I took it a part and the ceramic sleeve that covers the metal pin had come detached.
c39675785d784d1de1f13b2a107039b4.jpg

KJAG

Rogue
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just talked to Ecotech and they of course will not admit to this being an issue even though I know they probably hear this quite a bit. My unit was out of warranty and after some push back they were willing to discount a new wet side slightly.
Bold move for such a tightknit, small world hobby such as this..

atp0726

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting to wonder if just because you don't see evidence of rust it doesn't mean it's not happening. Since removing my cracked rusted wet side I'm seeing pe from corals I thought were dead and my purple stylo is sprouting new polyps where tissue had sloughed off.

Reef man 89

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will honestly say this is a real disappointment for ecotech. This thing is barely used, and it also has grease around the base area? I hope it was reef safe. Will be contacting ecotech tomorrow.

What the heck is going on? I didn't drop it or anything. But what I didn't check is when it arrived.
So is the grease not suppose to be there? I have 2 brand new mp10w and noticed it when I took it apart, just seems pretty strange to have grease in a extremely sensitive environment.

Lowell Lemon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you all should look at Tunze as a solution for your problems....just saying I have pumps that are 15 years old and not cracked or rusted. Do you want a Porsche or a Yugo...your choice.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 16 16.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 67 67.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.1%
Back