Please Stop Stating This Is An Expensive Hobby.

Tronix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not a "cheap" hobby for sure. "Expensive" is a relative term. I've done amazing things in this hobby very "inexpensively". It is nowhere near my most expensive hobby.
I have a 150 gallon mixed Reef and a 180 gallon acrylic FOWLR. I bought both of my tanks used. One on craigslist and another from a local reefer that had to downsize. The 150 had tank,stand,canopy, lids, skimmer, pumps..etc and I got it for $200. Just like any hobby. If you are patient, do a lot of research and are a do-it-yourself-er, you can do things pretty cheaply. Just maintaining my 2 large tanks costs less each month than properly maintaining 2 large dogs. It CAN be expensive, but it doesn't HAVE to be.

I just picked up another 180 gallon tank with stand, refugium, pumps, skimmer, lids, sand, rock.. everything except lights for $300 on craigslist he even threw in 2 buckets of salt and leftover food.. I can have this tank up and running and ready for animals for a grand total of $400.

Joseph Pagnotta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can be expensive to start, but it can also be reasonable.

Who thinks $1000-$1200 it reasonable? That's the question.
You can spend that on $1 a gallon tank, black box light, cheap heater, cheap HOB skimmer, cheap power head, cheap dry rock and sand, DIY stand, 5x $40 fishes, and 5x $40 corals.

Or you can spend $1200 on one light, or on one skimmer, or 1\4 of a tank.
You can even spend $750 on one homewrecking coral! LOL!

Maybe you can even get back a couple hundred selling frags, if your tank survives long enough.
My dad always said this.. BUY CHEAP PAY TWICE

aereaus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I experimented for years with cheap equipment and what I learned was this -- more often than not I wound up buying what I originally wanted to begin with.

I cannot state this enough -- I dont care how well you understand chemistry or engineering. The hardest and most rewarding lesson you will ever learn in this hobby is patience. Patience on a build, patience on stocking your tank and patience in dealing with issues. Patience in the end will save you more money than cheap equipment will.

Latino277

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't call this an expensive hobby. Most of the cost if front loaded, like most hobbies are. Once the tank is setup, you only pay to replace or add live stock an for maintaining the tank. I think my RC cars were more expensive lol.

Salt Creep

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't care how much this hobby costs me. It makes me happy and that is much more important than any sum of money.

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2012: http://www.bloomberg.com/consumer-s...real-cost-of-a-saltwater-aquarium.html#slide1

Edited: I actually think saying it is not expensive is a disfavor. I think, it frequently sets people up to failure and frustration. One cannot think it would be cheap to have a reef tank that look like one of the medium sized tanks of the month.

Obviously there is a wide range of money that one can spend on their tank. But the problem is showing those great looking tanks, and saying that one can achieve that with 1/10th of the price. Not cool... IMO

Last edited:

jhatfield

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expensive compared to what other hobby; rc cars/planes, model trains, leaning to fly a plane? I'm a photographer by trade but if I were in it as a hobby it would easily rival reef keeping. Hobbiest photographers are constantly on the hunt for the latest lens, camera body, etc.. I'd be hard pressed to find a (common) hobby that didn't cost a good chunk of cash... whether upfront or over the long term.

This is where someone responds with "My other hobby is origami and it's way cheaper." ;)

cb684

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Expensive compared to what other hobby; rc cars/planes, model trains, leaning to fly a plane? I'm a photographer by trade but if I were in it as a hobby it would easily rival reef keeping. Hobbiest photographers are constantly on the hunt for the latest lens, camera body, etc.. I'd be hard pressed to find a (common) hobby that didn't cost a good chunk of cash... whether upfront or over the long term.

This is where someone responds with "My other hobby is origami and it's way cheaper." ;)
I agree with all that you wrote, comparing with other hobbies it is not cheap but also not expensive. I just think people frequently start in the hobby with an idea that it is cheaper than it is, thus the impression that it is expensive.

Drmiami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I have spent more on my tank that what the house is worth lol

Here is the thing, buy the best and all the equipment needed, make it as automated as possible, and spend less in the long run by not having to replace dead coral and fish. If you want the best, this hobby will be expensive but very rewarding.

I would not change the fun, the struggle and the education for anything.

image.jpeg

10 years later I am still amazed that we can have a little ocean in our home. Worth every penny.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You tell me what is a cheap hobby first then we continue :); the word hobby and cheap don't seem to be getting along very well!

Collecting Modern Coins via Pocket Change.

That is a Very Cheap Hobby that people do.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's expensive. Take a moment and list all your equipment and the time you put into maintenance. But..... Buying groceries is also expensive. I think both food and reef tanks are necessary to live a happy life. : )

Buying Groceries is Not Expensive.

I live off of Ramen Noodles so I can Reef.

That is 0.30 a Day for 3 Meals.

We all make Sacrifices.

Colin Chaplin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
Why does everyone keep stating this is an expensive hobby? In reality, this hobby is determined based on what we are willing to spend. Telling new reefers or potential reefers that it's expensive to own a saltwater tank is getting out of hand. I previously would say the same but I understand that it is I that have made it expensive for myself. Purchasing new equipment and other "gimmick" items that come out each year is unnecessary. Simple husbandry can sustain but that isn't preached more than telling people to buy this item for "automation" or this $400 skimmer for skimming your tank. Everyone isn't being paid the same wage and it can discourage them. Try telling them the hard working way such as doing water changes, and testing before recommending some expensive piece equipment that he/she can do manually. Ultimately, he/she will decide to buy the equipment if they see fit.

Just my observations from this week.
All Hobbies can start off with the basic budget starting price, if you like your hobby, then it's how much can you afford to up grade to the next best or must have equipment, i am not saying they have to be the most expensive piece in the shop, but reliable and with a good reputation and a good price this is where a site like R2R with all the experience people can help the beginner off to a very good start.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is expensive when comparing the median income in America.

You of course will find more expensive and less expensive hobbies!!

For most people, getting started and maintaining a reef tank properly will consume a generous portion of their budget. People should know that going in. This is not to dissuade but inform.

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This Hobby Definetly CAN BE (and Usually is) expensive but that is not always the case.

I know a couple people with Bare Bones 10 Gallon Tanks.

No Skimmer
No Reactors
No Sump
Damsels
Xenia
Green Star Polyp
Kenya Trees

They Love their Tanks and spent pretty much nothing.

I know most people on this site will not stop at that but to say it is Expensive is a Flat Out Lie.

A better Statement is it USUALLY is Expensive for MOST People.

Every Hobby is Like that.

You can Spend as much or as little as you want.

Just because YOU spend a fortune does not mean that EVERYBODY spends a fortune Reefing.

It can be done just most Choose not to Do it Cheaply.

McMullen

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bare Bones 10 gallon systems with little equipment can be difficult to maintain for people just starting out in the hobby. It requires attention to detail and a consistent plan for nutrient export. Yes, it would take quite a while to go through a bucket of salt, and one could easily maintain minerals and elements without dosing, simply water changes. Life however gets in the way and long term success with small systems "usually," is from people that already have the "bug," and have experience.

Arguing extremes is silly. Think about this hobby from the view point of someone who walks into a pet store for the first time and sees the magical color and movement of marine fish and reef. Most don't want a small tank, they want a 40-75-90 gallon systems. They aren't going to choose the tank that will house "A" fish, they want lots of color fish.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my perspective when I worked at a LFS I would tell people that in comparison to freshwater fish it is expensive. I know there are freshwater fish that are at or above the saltwater price level but many people that have tetras and neons are going to get some sticker shock if they try saltwater out. The other issue I have seen is people always trying to cut corners when they are wanting to keep animals that require more than elaborate setups. Then remember I would be told from the customer well this is too expensive. It depends on the perspective of the person and the amount of money they are willing to spend.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 61 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back