Plotting My Attack on Aiptasia

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers,
My beloved reef is experiencing an outbreak of Aiptasia. It’s a 75 gallon true mixed reef with 6 fish. A pair of clowns, Tomini Tang, Solar Wrasse, Midas Blenny, and Chalk Bass. I am beginning to see a pretty substantial infestation and I want to take action before it gets too crazy.

I have a few ideas in mind and would like your ideas and opinions.

My first option and what I am currently doing is Aiptasia-X/F-Aiptasia. This method has really only fueled reproduction in my opinion as I am running through bottles of it and it’s only getting worse. I do not want to drive the Aiptasia into reproduction either.

My more realistic option is trying my luck with Peppermint Shrimp. But I have some prized LPS, golden torches, for example. I hear these shrimp can go rouge/opportunistic and attack LPS. I also hear some are not interested in Aiptasia at all. I understand there is one specific species we go for when it comes to Aiptasia but I have no real method of sourcing that exact species. Even then, I hear this species might not go for the Aiptasia. I think Algae Barn could be my best bet at sourcing the true Peppermints I need. However, their reviews are seemingly hit or miss.

My next option is another hit or miss. But my LFS always has Filefish and I hear these guys consume Aiptasia. But again, very hit or miss and can consume coral. The reason why I listed my fish population is because I think I am maxed out and do not want to add more fish.

Finally, there are Berghias. Which are very expensive and a lot less hit or miss. However, they are impossible for me to find locally and will end up costing me around $200 for a few. I have never ordered live animals before and I am absolutely terrified to do so. I see this as a last resort.

However, I do not want to risk the addition of something that may kill one of my torches.

What would you do?

Edit: If you had success with online vendors of either Peps or Bergs please let me know the vendor! Also, if you have Bergs and happen to be selling/shipping/or in Michigan, let me know too!

Last edited:

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been lucky to have had two matted file fish that took care of the problem and never touched a coral. I've had my current one over two yrs. He cleared the tank within about a month. I did notice that they don't touch the larger ones so I use Aiptasia X for those.

Coffee Soundboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey fellow reefers,
My beloved reef is experiencing an outbreak of Aiptasia. It’s a 75 gallon true mixed reef with 6 fish. A pair of clowns, Tomini Tang, Solar Wrasse, Midas Blenny, and Chalk Bass. I am beginning to see a pretty substantial infestation and I want to take action before it gets too crazy.

I have a few ideas in mind and would like your ideas and opinions.

My first option and what I am currently doing is Aiptasia-X/F-Aiptasia. This method has really only fueled reproduction in my opinion as I am running through bottles of it and it’s only getting worse. I do not want to drive the Aiptasia into reproduction either.

My more realistic option is trying my luck with Peppermint Shrimp. But I have some prized LPS, golden torches, for example. I hear these shrimp can go rouge/opportunistic and attack LPS. I also hear some are not interested in Aiptasia at all. I understand there is one specific species we go for when it comes to Aiptasia but I have no real method of sourcing that exact species. Even then, I hear this species might not go for the Aiptasia. I think Algae Barn could be my best bet at sourcing the true Peppermints I need. However, their reviews are seemingly hit or miss.

My next option is another hit or miss. But my LFS always has Filefish and I hear these guys consume Aiptasia. But again, very hit or miss and can consume coral. The reason why I listed my fish population is because I think I am maxed out and do not want to add more fish.

Finally, there are Berghias. Which are very expensive and a lot less hit or miss. However, they are impossible for me to find locally and will end up costing me around $200 for a few. I have never ordered live animals before and I am absolutely terrified to do so. I see this as a last resort.

However, I do not want to risk the addition of something that may kill one of my torches.

What would you do?
I’m in the same boat as you, pretty much. I’m going to go the Berghia route. Unless you have a lot of time you can spend in front of your tank watching to make sure no one goes rogue, I feel like it’s not worth the risk. At least for me.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been lucky with peppermints but my advice is to grossly over purchase with the understanding it could go south but those odds are waaaaaay less then the alternatives

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pastes just make them spread as you’re seeing! Peps are hit or miss I have 5 and they took a couple down… picked up some bergi and I’m seeing lots of them gone every morning when the lights come on!!bergs have my vote.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been lucky with peppermints but my advice is to grossly over purchase with the understanding it could go south but those odds are waaaaaay less then the alternatives
I like the idea of Peppermints because they are good crap eaters aside from the aiptasia control. I just do not have a confident way of sourcing the real ones.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pastes just make them spread as you’re seeing! Peps are hit or miss I have 5 and they took a couple down… picked up some bergi and I’m seeing lots of them gone every morning when the lights come on!!bergs have my vote.
Where did you get them from?

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you get them from?
A local buddy has a diver in Florida that got us some peps.. the bergia I traded a green slimer frag for 20 to a local lol.. he bought 10 and they cleaned his tank and he ended up with 60 or so..

tuscani

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit the few small ones I had with Aiptasia X and no other have retuned. I also now have a file fish and two peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hit the few small ones I had with Aiptasia X and no other have retuned. I also now have a file fish and two peppermint shrimp.
might try the filefish. one of my local buddies is highly recommending i get one

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you ‘terrified’ to order livestock, especially something as innocuous as Berghia? No aiptasia solution is guaranteed, but the only risk with Berghia is to your wallet. Also there are quite a few hobbyist Berghia breeders now, be sure you check the sale forums. Peppermint shrimp and filefish also usually ship well.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you ‘terrified’ to order livestock, especially something as innocuous as Berghia? No aiptasia solution is guaranteed, but the only risk with Berghia is to your wallet. Also there are quite a few hobbyist Berghia breeders now, be sure you check the sale forums. Peppermint shrimp and filefish also usually ship well.
Because I live in a condo community that a local HOA member receives packages in and distributes them at their leisure. Stupid, right? I could probably pick it up at the airport or facility though.

Just scared because it’s like throwing $200 into the abyss for me. I know everything will be fine but just spooks me is all.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought 4 Bergies from Reeftown recently. They were just over $100 shipped. I had a 4 or 5 clusters of aiptasia and am down to 2 that I can see. I am utterly amazed at how fast they've been disappearing considering I haven't seen the Bergies since I put them in the tank. I was afraid that I'd just provided my Flame Hawkfish with a very expensive meal.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without risking the torches your only one option is berghia. Sometimes the last is the best.
I'm sure $200 is less than one of your prized torch. So, why risk it?

Add at night and not on top of an aptaisia.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I live in a condo community that a local HOA member receives packages in and distributes them at their leisure. Stupid, right? I could probably pick it up at the airport or facility though.

Just scared because it’s like throwing $200 into the abyss for me. I know everything will be fine but just spooks me is all.
Have them ship to your local dollar general or other pickup point.

OP
OP
rja

rja

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without risking the torches your only one option is berghia. Sometimes the last is the best.
I'm sure $200 is less than one of your prized torch. So, why risk it?

Add at night and not on top of an aptaisia.
Good advice about adding at night.

Any fears about adding bergs with a Solar Wrasse?

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reeftown suggested to ship them to my work if nobody would be home to receive the package. They said it would be no problem to leave them in the shipping container until I had time to introduce them to the tank. Just had to make sure to pop the lid off as soon as I had the package in hand.

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO if you don't have big wrasse that may eat them (and honestly even if you do if you add a few extra) and can afford 3-5 berghia per 50 gallons of tank water to get a breeding population established, there is not a better option for aiptasia elimination. Actually eradicated a massive aiptasia infestation in my tank over the course of 3-6 months. I haven't seen a single one in almost 3 years. I will always sing their praises.

Adding with lights and pumps off will give best chance that they make it to a safe area to eat and multiply. Berghia are also a solution where the more aiptasia you have the more effective they'll be after 3 or 4 months. Mine took about 2-3 months to start making a real dent, but their pop EXPLODED.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%

Back