Plumbing for flow

choss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to plumb the return for my 96 gallon reef. I am using a Varios 6 pump, and I plan to run a manifold off this pump in addition to the return for the tank. The return bulkheads for my tank are 3/4" X2. The Varios 6 can push 1700 GPH. 'd like to maximize my flow and have the following questions:
  • The Varios comes with 1 1/4 union for the outflow. Does it matter when I reduce my plumbing down? Am I better off starting with 1 1/4", then reducing down to say 1", then reducing down to 3/4" for the returns and the manifold?
  • Should I stay at 1" and "T" off for the manifold and returns, then reduce down?
  • I was planning on using a wye check valve on the 3/4" returns. My plan was to install the valve, then split the 3/4" line to feed both 3/4" bulkheads. I figured this way I only have one potential failure point to clean instead of 2.
If none of this matters (as I eventually have to reduce to 3/4" pipe) then I may reuse some plumbing pieces I have and I could run a 3/4" barb right off the Vasios pipe but because in my new setup I am feed a refugium off the manifold I'd prefer to maximize more flow. I was previously running the varios at 100% on the 96 and it was perfect but there were quite a few turns in the plumbing which I plan to eliminate now.

Thanks in advance for advice and feedback. If you have relevant sump plumbing pics to share please do so! I always find this extremely helpful.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the newer generation of DC pumps do well against back pressure. Not that a DC pump cannot be designed to handle pressure. My experience with them, and indeed any pump, is that upsizing return pipe makes a big difference to the net flow. I always try to retain the native pipecsize as long as possible - or even go bigger. Dual 3/4 is much less than a single 1 1/4” so it’s going to hurt flow.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back