Plumbing help

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I setup this new tank but I am having some issues with the plumbing. I notice it is very loud and seems to get lots of air in the plumbing. I attached the video to see what I mean.

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's jumping between a partial siphon and a full siphon .. because that hole in the bend should be on top of the pipe .. I'm guessing

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your hole is in the wrong place....you're still siphoning. The hole needs to be above the waterline. Make this durso instead and put a hole in the top of the endcap.

images
OverflowDurso3762.jpg

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a normal t bend with an end cap losse . Drill through the side of cap and through pipe . .. so when I turn the cap it closes of the air .. water line stays half way on the t

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am still confused. There is a hole in the top of the pipe also, you can see the tube sticking out of it in the video. This is the plumbing that came with the system already assembled.

Willy315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I am still confused. There is a hole in the top of the pipe also, you can see the tube sticking out of it in the video. This is the plumbing that came with the system already assembled.
The hole in the side doesn't need to be there. The hole in the top needs to be bigger, go up in sizes slowly till the water level in the overflow is steady

Jason mack

Monti madness
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Then I'm guessing you have one too many

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is doing the same thing mine did. My problem was the the pipe leading from the stand pipe in the overflow to the sump was too big. I switched to a smaller size and solved the problem. Basically I was using 1 1/4 pipe and screwing it to the outside of the bulkhead. I switched to 1 inch and used the inside of the bulkhead and the flushing stopped.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's the next thing I'd try....hopefully the pipes aren't glued.....try a longer down pipe. That is, in effect, raise the whole thing up a bit. Try different lengths until you've dialed it in. A regular durso is adjustable in height. With the DIY you have, you'll need to change the pipe length.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours is doing the same thing mine did. My problem was the the pipe leading from the stand pipe in the overflow to the sump was too big. I switched to a smaller size and solved the problem. Basically I was using 1 1/4 pipe and screwing it to the outside of the bulkhead. I switched to 1 inch and used the inside of the bulkhead and the flushing stopped.

Darn, I was hoping you had a fix. I am already using the 1 inch inside the bulkhead. I drilled another tiny hole on top of the elbow and see if it helps like others suggested. Thanks

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn, I was hoping you had a fix. I am already using the 1 inch inside the bulkhead. I drilled another tiny hole on top of the elbow and see if it helps like others suggested. Thanks

I tried drilling the hole in the top as well and it made it worse. From what I could tell with mine, (and i'm no expert in plumbing at all) the water was flowing too fast for the durso pipe to handle. I slowed it down... I slowed down my return pumps and made the pipe on the exit end smaller to slow down the flow. That's what fixed it for me. That probably doesn't help you much though.

OP
OP
bubbaque

bubbaque

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried drilling the hole in the top as well and it made it worse. From what I could tell with mine, (and i'm no expert in plumbing at all) the water was flowing too fast for the durso pipe to handle. I slowed it down... I slowed down my return pumps and made the pipe on the exit end smaller to slow down the flow. That's what fixed it for me. That probably doesn't help you much though.

It actually does help! I believe I was putting to much for the pipes to handle. I was use to running a beananimal on my 75 gallon and had the flow way up with no issue due to the full syphon. The durso doesn't seem to handle nearly as much. I seen the paper say 700gph is what the pipes could handle but I figured it could handle more due to the size of the pipes.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually does help! I believe I was putting to much for the pipes to handle. I was use to running a beananimal on my 75 gallon and had the flow way up with no issue due to the full syphon. The durso doesn't seem to handle nearly as much. I seen the paper say 700gph is what the pipes could handle but I figured it could handle more due to the size of the pipes.

See what I mean? I'm no plumbing expert! lol Glad it worked for ya

Lynn52

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same marine land set up. It comes with the tank. The only time I've seen that happen on mine is when the return pump can't keep up with the overflow. Maybe I've just been lucky.

Back