Pny's waterfall algae scrubber build

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ATS Description
I've been trying out a DIY "SURF"-style algae scrubber for more than a year, but its nutrient export doesnt keep up with my feeding, so I want to give the algae scrubbing method a "last chance"... Now I've started making myself a quality waterfall style ATS. Instead of just buying a COTS product, I wanted to make my own small footprint scrubber and replicate many features found in other ATS designs, and maybe add one or two myself...

Scrubber features
I'm trying to incoperate the following features into my ATS... (Most are from the Turbo ATS).
  • Compact design, about 35 x 14.5 x 30 cm (LxWxH), including LED heatsink
  • ~100 square inch screen, equals L8 size
  • Low voltage, 24V power supply for safety
  • Coast to coast algae screen to maximize screen length
  • Red and violet lights with individual color channel dimming
  • Side viewing window to enable easy view of growth
  • Removable false bottom to prevent the algae growth to block the drains
  • Multiple drain design for safe and silent operation with drain tuning
  • Additional emergency drain to prevent flooding
  • Light blocker around the slot to keep the flow out area clear of algae
  • Slot pipe brackets that fixates the slot in a straight down pointing direction, ensuring that the flow stays as even as possible on both sides of the screen.
  • Large flow capacity
  • Tight fit around the light fixtures and a light blocking lid to prevent algae to grow everywhere in the sump area
I will not try to do a removable growth chamber, instead I will focus on making it easy to remove the entire unit from the sump area.

Coast to coast screen
As most ATS designs I go with the Darice brand plastic canvas #7 count mesh screen. The algae screen will go from one end of the box to the other, ie "coast to coast".

Lightning
The ATS will use a mix of 660-670 nm red and 420 nm hyper violet LED. The screen will be lit from both sides by a grand total of 48 red LEDs and 18 violet LED's mounted on two 300 x 200 mm aluminum heatsinks.

The LEDs will be powered by a 24V Meanwell waterproof powersupply and be driven by a number of Meanwell LDD-700L constant current circuits mounted on a PCB I designed a few years ago.

Lightning are very importing so I decided to go for named quality LEDs:
Luxeon LED, 2.2 V, 700 mA, LXM3-PD01-0300, BIN Code W
Steves LED Hyper violet 3.0, 3.7 V, 700mA

Two potentiometers will control the red and violet color dimming. An Arduino controller will perform potentiometer reading and output PWM signals. Also, it would be a nice feature to let the controller display the intensity percentage value for each of the two control channels. The Arduino controller will be powered from a 24V to 12V DC/DC converter.

I could not get hold of heatsinks in the size I needed, therefore my 300 x 200 mm heatsink consists of 3 pcs mounted together. Additional aluminum profiles mounted as a frame around the perimeter of the heatsinks will ensure the spacing between the LEDs and a prismatic diffuser screen. The diffuser screen helps to produce an even light on the algae screen.

Growth chamber
The ATS will have a classic fixed growth chamber made from clear acryllic sheets and have a viewing window on one short end. I will have to keep the growth chamber

design simple, since my tools for working with acryllic is very limited.

Slot pipe
To be decided... I have not decided if I should use a standard slot pipe or try to minimize height requirement by building a my own square pipe with integrated light blockers.

False bottom
The exact design of the false bottom is to be defined...

ATS System Plumbing
The ATS will initially be fed by its own water pump. In the future I might connect it to the manyfold on my return pump, but I'm not sure I can spare the amount of flow the ATS need so I might as well keep it on its own pump. The water from my return plumbing is not really an option either, since its already used to feed my skimmer and Rollermat mechanical filer.

Build process
Sourcing materials from the internet takes a a lot of time, but the delivery times give me the opportunity to think more about the design... So far, I've sourced about 2/3 of the materials, I've cut some of the acrylics and glued the heatsinks together. Now I'm Waiting for LEDs and some more aluminum profiles.

Sourced so far:
* PVC pipe/fittings, 25 mm and 32 mm
* Prismatic diffuser screen, 2 pcs 300 x 210 mm
* Plastic Canvas Screen, Darice #7 mesh
* Black and transparent acrylic sheets
* Aluminum heatsink, 6 pcs 200 x 100 x 18mm
* LED power supply 24V/10A 240W, MeanWell HLG-240H-24A
* DIY LED drivers, 700 mA
* Red LED's 660-670 nm, Philips Luxeon ES Deep Red 3W
* Violet LEDs, Steves LED Hyper violet 3.0
* Arduino controller, display and potentiometers for PWM dimming.
* Aluminum profiles for light fixtures

Not sourced yet:
* Arduino power supply (24V to 12V converter)
* Power supply contacts
* More PVC fittings for drains
* Water pump

Photos

IMG_8027.JPG

Above: Light fixtures waiting for LED...

IMG_8033.JPG

Above: DIY LED Drivers

IMG_8034.JPG

Above: LED drivers wired for power and PWM input.

IMG_8036.JPG

Above: Trying out a growth chamber, (protecting plastic makes them look pink).

Lets hope the remaining parts will arrive soon, so I can continue my build...

Watevadog5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been very interested in the DIY scrubbers myself...Last week I put together an upflow scrubber and it was super simple. All I did was run an airline on the bottom of a plastic screen with 20-30 small holes in it. Used a suction cup to stick it to the inside of my fuge area and hooked up my light to shine on it from the outside. I am not seeing any crazy growth like some do but I also run GFO, I skim wet and have a fair amount of rock in my tank. In addition I would have to say I feed pretty light. Your build looks good so far and I will be following along.

OP
OP
Pny

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some progress...

LED's received and glued... Also started wiring them. My own solder equipment couldn't manage to heat the stars so I had to go to the electronics lab there I work and use some "real" solder equipment... :)

I've decided to go with a standard slot pipe instead of a more fancy solution. 1/2-1 inch less height isn't worth the extra job...

I've also decided to skip the dimming knobs on the unit. It will be to difficult to make them waterproof. Dimming will be performed over a Bluetooth interface instead... Much easier to seal the unit that way. If I want knobs I just put together another cheap Arduino + Bluetooth combo that can talk wireless with the scrubber.

IMG_8037b500.jpg

OP
OP
Pny

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LEDs all soldered and glued, and the growth box is taking form...

The LED lights are all soldered and glued. Next step is to add the aluminum profiles at each long side that will house the drivers and control electronics.

pny_8041b.jpg

Above: Algae scrubber LED lights

pny_8038b.jpg

Above: Growth box with side viewing window.

pny_8040b.jpg

Above: PVC union with hexagonal nut holds the slot pipe in place.

pny_8039b.jpg

Above: One of the drains and two emergency drains.

peterj66

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really nice build, I guess the large number of LEDs on each panel are to get an even light distribution? Ive been thinking of adding a scrubber for a while but so far the refugium takes care of my nutrient levels so I'm in no hurry. Thinking of building one to have as a safeguard if the requirements change. What client will you use to talk to the arduino/bluetooth controller?

zachtos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I did my DIY kit from rapid LED, way easier that way, but still a lot of work. TONS of overhead for ATS growth, and the PWM feature is a must, you can literally dial it up and down to keep your nitrates at 2-5ppm if that is what you want. I do like that you have a good spash shield and easy way to remove for maintenance, because that is getting to be a real pain.

OP
OP
Pny

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not ready, but at least some progress...

The LED lights are now functional and almost ready... "slave side" light only need some additional paint, the "controller side" light needs the controller and an additional voltage converter fitted. I forgot I had to convert the 24V suppply to a lower voltage for the controller, so I will have to squeeze in a small voltage converter somewhere. In addition the algae growing box needs some work on the sides and lid.

Waterfall-ATS-Backside-Heatsink.jpg

Above: "slave side" light.

Waterfall-ATS-Frontside-Heatsink.jpg

Above: "controller side" light with LCD and light intensity knobs.

Waterfall-ATS-LCD.jpg

Above: LCD with hyper violet (HP) LED and red LED percentage values.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice for mine I just went simple 660 & 420nm ran at 700ma nothing fancy just on and off.
I wonder how they would do if you in a side by side test same LEDs one controllable on not??

Maybe us ATS can find the sweet spot for grown. My theory is that controllable will start better as you can ramp them up as need with growth.

OP
OP
Pny

Pny

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe us ATS can find the sweet spot for grown. My theory is that controllable will start better as you can ramp them up as need with growth.

The timer in the controller only do on/off to the selected intensity. I doubt ramping up and down each day will be of any benefit.... The purpose is slowly ramp up during several weeks at start and also to be able to adjust intensity to maximize growth over time... Also, it has so much power that I might never be able to use 100% intensity....

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back