Pod Hotel

randilio1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen various threads regarding pod hotels but none that fit my requirements. Im looking for guidance regarding the DIY making of a pod Hotel solely for the purpose of growing a thriving group of pods for increased fish nutrition.

I have a Rio 180 (40gal breeder) with a canister filter (floss, matrix media and carbon/phosguard) and an internal skimmer. I'd like to get a reasonable pod population going using a plastic breeder box but am unsure of what to put inside the box or where to place the box.

I'm happy to add some of the existing live sand but don't have any rubble to add. Would the copepods and amphipods happily host some more of the matrix media? Or would chaeto be required? I'm not looking for nutrient export from the chaeto and ist purpose would be solely for the purpose of pod cultivation.

Also, where would the box be best placed? I'm happy with pretty much anywhere but thinking that the box would be best placed on the sandbed suction cupped to the back of the tank.

Anything else I could add to the box that would serve as a suitable home for the pods?

Thanks for any responses

FTS:
IMG_20200109_185903.jpg

Breeder box:
15789242499048158093959214302487.jpg

scottedontknow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can make it a mini refug, add a small grow light and some cheato. if you dont want to do that you can add in some marine pure sphers or rubble rock and that would also make a great home for your pods :)

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a shower poofy (loofa). Let it fill with pods within the box. Also, the idea of having Matrix will give a place for detritus which will give them something to chew on. Otherwise, go with the previous suggestion of live chaeto and supplement the box with a submersible LED light.

CuzzA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish are you wanting to supplement? All I see are two clownfish and maybe a tang. None of which would really benefit from your efforts.

OP
OP
R

randilio1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish are you wanting to supplement? All I see are two clownfish and maybe a tang. None of which would really benefit from your efforts.
Looking to accommodate a blue cheek goby. From my research they'll require a thriving pod population and supplementation with meaty foods

OP
OP
R

randilio1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a shower poofy (loofa). Let it fill with pods within the box. Also, the idea of having Matrix will give a place for detritus which will give them something to chew on. Otherwise, go with the previous suggestion of live chaeto and supplement the box with a submersible LED light.
Great, thanks for the reply. Sounds like a cheap DIY option (right up my street)! Wouldn't have thought of using a loofa, suppose its much and such the same consistency as chaeto

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 30.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back