Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update for everyone following...

Last week i transferred the clown and 2 wrasse to its original home. The tank went fallow for 76 days so the tank and the fish should be ich free!! The yellow tang is waiting for the school to pick out and purchase the 2 other tangs that will be in this tank so that we can add all 3 at the same time for obvious reasons. The blue tang, i have not started searching for a new home yet and im still considering on keeping him myself.

Many thanks to Mr Humble and everyone who provided knowledge, support, and advice. I know i wouldnt have been able to do this without you guys. Such a great community here at reef2reef.

AcanSkywalker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^pretty much everything . I'm not sure how many fish we're transferring or if you're going to be at the school everyday, but I'd recommend a seachem ammonia alert badge too, this way someone could notify you if ammonia in QT gets too high.

The only thing I would look out for, going from your first post, is if you're going to have the live rock in QT for the biofilter, it will absorb copper so you will have to be more vigilant in testing and maintaining the copper level.

And don't mix any other medicines/chemicals with cupramine.....no prime, water conditioners, amquel- other ammonia reducers....it will kill the fish.
The Incomparable Poly- Filter is the best thing I know of for removing copper if you go that route.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, I have noticed that over the past 2 days the yellow tang have been breathing VERY fast and won't eat anything. The only other fish in the tank is the Blue Hippo and he is doing great. Any thoughts? I am going to do a water change tonight. Would ammonia cause those symptoms? Any ideas what can cause this fish to not eat and breath fast?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elevated ammonia would definitely cause those symptoms.

Also, is the YT still in copper and if so, for how many days has he been kept in copper? Some fish can't take longer than 30 days.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has been out of copper for a long time now.

Ended up eating but now back to not eating

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone has been out of copper for a long time now.

Ended up eating but now back to not eating

Any tiny white dots on the skin or fins (can be hard to see on a YT)? Any scratching, flashing, head twitching? Any swimming into the flow of a powerhead or purposely staying out of the light?

This is odd, because if it were a disease it should be spreading to the Hippo. Copper poisoning is my other thought. Some fish can have a delayed reaction, sometimes months after being treated.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are acting completely normal. They have nothing that you stated above. However, the yellow tang have head and lateral line for sure. I picked up some selcon in hopes that its a diet issue. The blue hippo did have it but not as bad and has since improved and almost disappeared.

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update.

Good news and bad news.

As of a few weeks ago all i had left in the QT was the blue hippo tang and yellow tang. Both fat as can be, great color, good health. I sold Dory to someone last saturday and by monday she died. I was extremely upset. So much work went into her. Anyone have any idea what happened? Are fish more prone to this happening after leaving the QT?

The yellow tang, this afternoon she went back to her original owner and home!

OP
OP
Pola0502ds

Pola0502ds

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Question:

After the school tank went fallow, they put this fish in the tank that you see in the pictures above (sorry for the doubles, couldnt delete them). Im not sure what it is but it has what appears to be white fungus all over it. Its active and eating very well. Anyone have any idea what it is and how to treat it? Does it need to go to QT or can it remain in the DT?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back