POLL: How often do you feed your fish and more?

How often do you feed your fish?

• 1 Time daily

Votes: 351 45.2%
  • 2 Times daily

Votes: 267 34.4%
  • 3 Times daily

Votes: 91 11.7%
  • 4 or more times daily

Votes: 51 6.6%
  • Other; Please explain in a post

Votes: 17 2.2%

• Total voters

trido

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive heard nori is to fish how fast food is to people...is that true?
I've never heard of such a thing. Nori has vitamin A, C and iron. It also contains iodine which is helpful to inverts for molting. Maybe it does have empty calories but Algea eaters do need supplemental feeding from some source.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed a little and often around 4 times a day and the reason is very simple.Most of the fish I keep are constant opportunistic feeders feeding from the water column. Small fish like damsels, clown, gobbies, blennies, Royal grammas. I make some of my own foods like newly hatched brine shrimp, squid, mussel, clam, scallops, shrimp and the like. I mix these along with those I can't like oyster eggs, adult brine shrimp, mysis, lobster eggs and the like. I never feed flake but some feed some very small pellets now and again. I have a simple saying "you can't improve on nature but you can try to mimic it as much as is reasonably possible and in doing so you can't go far wrong"

tangerine3486

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets twice a day,
2 clowns, blenny, firefish, diamond goby, clown goby.

I also spot feed my LPS and Paly 3 ish times a week.

rferraro21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here, no livestock yet. Can anyone recommend where to get a good variety of food? I plan on having two clowns, a watchman gobie, a Mandarin gobie (ok to have more than one gobie?), and some others but not sure yet.

ReefFrenzy

Shrimp Pimp
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Sunday night and after working for about 5 hours on my website and wholesale ordering portal I decided to pop on R2R and see what's new. Needless to say I am flattered at the amount of posts in this thread mentioning LRS foods as part of folks' feeding regimen. We've been working almost around the clock to fill retail store orders as well as supplying more public aquariums and aquaculture facilities with food. Seeing threads like this one really keeps my passion going and makes these long days seem not so long!

Thanks everyone on Reef2Reef for your support!

Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's Sunday night and after working for about 5 hours on my website and wholesale ordering portal I decided to pop on R2R and see what's new. Needless to say I am flattered at the amount of posts in this thread mentioning LRS foods as part of folk's feeding regimen. We've been working almost around the clock to fill retail store orders as well as supplying more public aquariums and aquaculture facilities with food. Seeing threads like this one really keeps my passion going and make these long days seem not so long!

Thanks everyone on Reef2Reef for your support!
Please keep that passion going! My fish would be very sad if you weren't providing their gourmet dinner every night!

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Newbie here, no livestock yet. Can anyone recommend where to get a good variety of food? I plan on having two clowns, a watchman gobie, a Mandarin gobie (ok to have more than one gobie?), and some others but not sure yet.
LFS and online retailers will have a variety of frozen foods. Fresh seafood at the supermarket can also be used.

What size tank? Multippe gobies can be kept together. Mandarins are more distantly related to 'true' gobies. Mandarins can have their own challenges. Many refuse to eat foods provided, instead relying on copepods, microfauna in the tank. Even if they do eat provided foods their digestive tract is so short that they need to eat almost constantly. So a tank roughly 50g+ that has been setup for 6 months+ is a good start before adding a mandarin.

webbrage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once a day around 4-5 pm,

P Mysis
50/50
Raw shrimp
Coral frenzy 2-3 days

Livestock:
Paired gladiator clowns
Blue star leopard wrasse
Spotted tail blend
Diamond goby
Snowflake eel

65 gallon display

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am up to feeding twice a day and hanging some seaweed for my tangs.

tcampbell23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 2-3x a day Monday through friday and 4-5x a day on the weekends. I feed nori and pellets mostly throughout the week as it's "cleaner" to feed than frozen food. On the weekend I drop in half a cube of mysis, half a cube of brine, and half a cube of mosquito larvae. Over the course of the day in addition to two nori feedings

Clarke

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed 1 time per day have 20 fish and a tank full of coral in a 66 gal. Red Sea tank. One day I feed LRS for fish, the next I feed Sustainable Aquatics dry hatchery diet and then I feed Zoo med Spirulina 20 on the 3rd day, then I rotate back to the LRS. All my fish are heathy and thriving as are my corals. Mostly LPS with a few SPS. I have a 8 to 9 inch tear drop clam that was 2 inches when I got it and it is doing great.

vxcvxc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed twice a day, some SPECTRUM marine formula pellets and then frozen mysis shrimp (variable amount) with a turkey baster. I have 12 fish in a 55 gal tank.
1 scooter blenny
3 pajama cardinals
1 yellow watchman goby
1 kamohara blenny
1 tailspot blenny
1 royal gramma
1 blue damselfish
2 tomato clownfish
1 flame hawkfish

pelphrey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Twice a day now thanks to the Neptune AFS!!

PJS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eheim auto feeder 3 times a day a small amount of a mix of Prime Reef, Formula 1, Formula 2 and Spectrum pellets.
Once in the evening 1 cube of Frozen mysis soaked in Selcom, garlic extract and Zoe precubed from a candy tray.
A half, sometimes a whole, sheet of nori

16 fish in a 125g

I'm liking this thread. Nice variety of foods that I'm going to add to my next batch of food. I wish I could get LRF locally. I was in Chicago today, i should have gotten some...and some Portillo's ;)

mazoli

(re)Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekdays 2x, weekend 3x, feeding 3 cubes/day (mysis, mussels and artemia) in 100gallon, 20 fish.

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed my fish two to three times a day.
I feed hikari veggie pellets and hatchery diet pellets
Mix in a frozen cube treat of mysis or brine and a quarter cube of cyclops.

I change up the feeding between pellets and frozen foods so my fish don't always get the same diet
Such as hikari veggi pellets, hatchery diet pellets, new life spectrum pellets, brine, mysis, cyclops to name a few

I like to keep a variety in the freezer and the shelf.

210 gallon tank, ice cap 36" sump with a 202S reef octopus skimmer.
Chevron tang
Yellow tang
2 blue hippo tangs
Powder blue tang
Mille miller blennie
Bi color blenny
Gold stripe maroon clown
4 lyre tail anthias
To many corals to list haha

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tree times daily, am- flakes, mid day pellets mixture, several different types of pellets, pm- frozen. Nori once a wk.
1-blue hippo
1-yellow tang
1- orange shoulder tanf
1- lawnmower blennie
2- damsels
4-clown fish/ 2-snowflakes & 2- percula occllaris

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back