[POLL] What is the current salt mix that you are using? Share thoughts and how long in use.

What salt mix are you currently using?

• Tropic Marin Classic

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Brightwell NeoMarine

• D-D H2Ocean Magnesium Pro PLUS

• E.S.V. B-Ionic Seawater System

• HW-MarineMix Pro

• Aquaforest Probiotic Reef

• Two Little Fishies AccuraSea 1

• Total voters

SeZMehK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am sure everyone that is new in the hobby always asks these questions:
- What is the best salt?
- What salt are you using now?
- What salt would you recommend?
etc

I know there are so many threads with everyone's choice but I'm sure the newcomers would love to see a number behind each salt to help with their decision. So instead of going around and counting who uses what salt, I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread with a poll to keep track of how many people that use a specific salt. Please let me know if there is a salt that you use that is missing.

I'll start it off. I currently use the standard IO salt. Once it is close to finishing, I am thinking of changing to Reef Crystals or Red Sea Pro. Currently running on a year with IO.

Peng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Fritz. Used IO, RC, and Kent before. Some brands had high Alk or Ca. Out of all of them Fritz is very consistent and mixes super clean.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using Fritz as well, mixes well and consistent :)

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently switched from Red Sea Coral Pro to hw-Marinemix Reefer, and am very happy with it.
Closer match for conditions in my tanks, and purely synthetic so no unwanted contaminant surprises (hopefully.)

mattfish

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,

I am sure everyone that is new in the hobby always asks these questions:
- What is the best salt?
- What salt are you using now?
- What salt would you recommend?
etc

I know there are so many threads with everyone's choice but I'm sure the newcomers would love to see a number behind each salt to help with their decision. So instead of going around and counting who uses what salt, I thought it would be a good idea to make a thread with a poll to keep track of how many people that use a specific salt. Please let me know if there is a salt that you use that is missing.

I'll start it off. I currently use the standard IO salt. Once it is close to finishing, I am thinking of changing to Reef Crystals or Red Sea Pro. Currently running on a year with IO.

Currently using Red Sea Coral Pro , but not happy with PH , Going to switch to Bright well Aquatics brand.

Potatohead

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea Blue in my main tank and H2Ocean in my office tank because I don't dose that one and just rely on water changes. Can't pick two options in the poll :(

OP
OP
S

SeZMehK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin pro in one tank and Fritz in the other.

I use Red Sea Blue in my main tank and H2Ocean in my office tank because I don't dose that one and just rely on water changes. Can't pick two options in the poll :(

Oh, I didn't think about people who using different salts for different tanks. Is it possible for a mod to update the poll to add that option? Thanks.

W.Lane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Instant Ocean Reef Crystals now. My first tank was a instant ocean tank, and that was in the 80's..
And no problems mix with RO/DI water and all is good, but then I am old school.:)

trmiv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Regular instant ocean. Looking to switch to something with higher mag and calcium soon because I can maintain levels mostly with water changes right now if the salt I used was a bit higher in those.

OP
OP
S

SeZMehK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses. I hope this is helpful for anyone that is looking to start a tank or change salts. Keep the responses coming. Let's build up the votes!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with Reef Crystals and since have tried regular IO, HW Reefer, Fritz, Brightwell Neomarine and now use Red Sea blue bucket. No serious problems with any of those (things like residue in the mixing container, precipitation when warming, etc.). I may consider going back to HW Reefer as cost was what made me change as I recall. Don't think it's significantly more expensive than what I'm using now.

Da Ghost

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Recently switch to Tropic Marin Pro from HG Reefer- Both mix clear without residual, but i liked the pharma aspect and the break down supplied by BRS. Will be setting up a second tank and will use HG Reefer in that tank to see which one works best for me vi aside by side. I have had a bad batch of HG they were really cool about sending the missing element so no harm no foul. I do wish the Alk was a touch higher on the TM pro, but I am not into fast growth so I guess this should work out nicely.

OP
OP
S

SeZMehK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking around and watching all the salt videos from BRS, I will definitely switch to IO RC once I am almost done with my bucket of IO. Hopefully I can catch another sale for the 200g RC box that I missed recently o_O

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back