Polyurethane foam spray coral safe?

ERIC1975

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to make a fake rock wall insert for my new 30 gal tank using those foam spray cans in the pond and garden section at Lowes. The label says its fish safe but wonder if it's coral safe? I think I saw someone on here did something similar but not sure where he got his foam spray can at. Any ideas?
I'm just not sure if it will ant effect on my sps.

tupes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. that is the one everyone uses to make the back wall as you're wanting to do. The foam should be black if I'm not mistaken

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any pond foam should be reef safe. When working with it go slow until you get used to how much it expands. Most expand at least 2x4 times its size. Also make sure to wear gloves and not get it on anything you don't want it on. It is very hard to clean off. If it gets on your hands it will literally be there for weeks. During pond season my hands are stained black for months. (I hate gloves) Good luck can't wait to see what you make.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another quick tip would be to mix some sand and break up some rock into small pieces and mix together. Use this mixture to cover the foam where it will be visible so you don't see the black. When building ponds we mix various small stones and dirt to hide any visible foam. It will stock directly to the wet foam.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%

Back