Porcupine Puffer died suddenly

soonerfan66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Porcupine Puffer for 6 months and it has always been eating good (begging for food like a dog) , would act like a dog in morning when lights turn on , seemed very healthy . But after getting back home from church and some other things that evening found it very pale it's spines were hanging out pointed down , it died soon after , seemed like it had been dead for a week but it was just a day . My water test were good . The ammonia was a little high but not bad . I had gotten some Bubble Tip Anenome s a few days before and have been feeding them both kind of heavy with shrimp lately . My other fish include Yellow Tang , Clown , 3 Damsels in a 120 gallon tank . All the other fish are fine . Could the Puffer tried to steal some shrimp from a anemone and bitten off a arm and got sick ? When I fed the anenomes it would try to get the shrimp before I could get it to it . Everything with the Puffer seemed ok till this happened . Anyone have a idea ?

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a Porcupine Puffer for 6 months and it has always been eating good (begging for food like a dog) , would act like a dog in morning when lights turn on , seemed very healthy . But after getting back home from church and some other things that evening found it very pale it's spines were hanging out pointed down , it died soon after , seemed like it had been dead for a week but it was just a day . My water test were good . The ammonia was a little high but not bad . I had gotten some Bubble Tip Anenome s a few days before and have been feeding them both kind of heavy with shrimp lately . My other fish include Yellow Tang , Clown , 3 Damsels in a 120 gallon tank . All the other fish are fine . Could the Puffer tried to steal some shrimp from a anemone and bitten off a arm and got sick ? When I fed the anenomes it would try to get the shrimp before I could get it to it . Everything with the Puffer seemed ok till this happened . Anyone have a idea ?
Any ammonia at all is immensely problematic. Tiny amounts can quickly kill any fish.

How long has your tank been set up?

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been up and running about 6 years .
Then you should have absolutely zero ammonia. Something is very wrong in your tank. What are your nitrite and nitrate levels?

Sorry I’m not trying to be harsh I just want you to know that’s almost certainly what killed your fish. Puffers are very sensitive to water conditions particularly ammonia.

OP
OP
S

soonerfan66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you are right . When I said the ammonia was a little high I was meaning it was barely green at all on the test , the nitrites were 0 and the nitrates were 5.0 . I had a water change ready (I get my water from a fish store and use the reef water) and was planning on doing it the next day but did it after finding the dead puffer that evening. Did water test this morning and the ammonia is back to 0.0 and plan to retest in a couple days . I change out 25 gallons on water changes and try to do that every 1-2 weeks but like most people know life sometimes gets in the way .

4FordFamily

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No you are right . When I said the ammonia was a little high I was meaning it was barely green at all on the test , the nitrites were 0 and the nitrates were 5.0 . I had a water change ready (I get my water from a fish store and use the reef water) and was planning on doing it the next day but did it after finding the dead puffer that evening. Did water test this morning and the ammonia is back to 0.0 and plan to retest in a couple days . I change out 25 gallons on water changes and try to do that every 1-2 weeks but like most people know life sometimes gets in the way .
Ammonia shouldn’t be present in a fully cycled tank even without water changes, the nitrogen cycle will change it in to nitrates.

#reefsquad could provide some additional support of what I’ve shared if you’d like other opinions.

OP
OP
S

soonerfan66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I talked to the fish store and they think I was feeding way to much , the fish and anemones seemed to eat everything thou . I had read once feeding the puffer and anemone would get them to grow good so I think that I got carried away I was giving them shrimp sometimes everyday (I know,Iknow that was stupid) , but the puffer seemed so happy to eat . I also checked the ammonia and it was .25 . So it seems I have really screwed up . Is doing water changes twice a week for a while the best idea ? And I plan to cut feeding to once a week from advice from the fish store . I have been lucky and never had any issues with my tanks till now .

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks as if @4FordFamily hit the nail right on the head. Has the tank been up 6 YEARS or 6 MONTHS? I can't even fathom how a 6 year old tank would be having ammonia issues..

Last edited:

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 13.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 9 17.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back