Porcupine Puffer not eating

LukeV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Over the past weekend, I picked up a porcupine puffer. It is about 4" and looks to be healthy. When I brought it home Saturday, after acclimation it was swimming around the tank happily. The next day it has found its place in the tank and I have repeatedly found him there swimming up and down, side to side looking at his reflection. Since adding him, I have only seen him eat one time and have offered him frozen as well as some fresh clam today. He completely ignored the food and continued to watch himself, occasionally swimming around the tank.

Am I doing anything wrong, or is he just getting used to the tank?

Thank you

tkiry1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Frozen krill worked for me, now my guy eats anything.. It takes a few days for them settle in too....

hybridazn

Acro killer.....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry too much at this point. After a week or so if he is still not eating I would get some live ghost shrimp to entice eating. If it eats them you can gut pack them with some flake food to add nutrients for the puffer. You can then start to offer prepared foods.

OP
OP
LukeV

LukeV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there anything I can do to entice it? When I tried to feed him the clam today, he didn't even glance at it.

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm debating getting a porcupine puffer and just curious how you moved him to your tank. did you net him or use a bucket? How did you not pour any store water he was in in your tank?

OP
OP
LukeV

LukeV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. I'm debating getting a porcupine puffer and just curious how you moved him to your tank. did you net him or use a bucket? How did you not pour any store water he was in in your tank?
I acclimated it to my tank in a bucket then when I was ready to add used a smaller container to scoop him up and poured out most of the water, but leave enough to not stress him.

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 60 gallon tank and getting a porcupine puffer. (I know that's too small) I scored this 120 gallon beast used. Should I set the 120 up and cycle if for a few months and then move the him to the 120? Should I use some of the water/bacteria from my 60? Has anyone upgraded just tank size?

IMG_8612.PNG

Jonathan blackwood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a porcupine puffer before that was about that size and it didn't eat anything ... i tried clams, shrimp, krill, etc... and I noticed it followed my finger when I ran it up and down the glass a few times... then I thought hmmm... maybe he like live food! ?? Or needs the hunt lol so I have read in the past that people have fed "goldfish" for live food "feeder fish" and I know it's the most unhealthy thing to feed , but it worked :) I put in 2-3 small goldfish every few days and he chomped them up in seconds . Might wanna give that a try

Benny Gyger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

Over the past weekend, I picked up a porcupine puffer. It is about 4" and looks to be healthy. When I brought it home Saturday, after acclimation it was swimming around the tank happily. The next day it has found its place in the tank and I have repeatedly found him there swimming up and down, side to side looking at his reflection. Since adding him, I have only seen him eat one time and have offered him frozen as well as some fresh clam today. He completely ignored the food and continued to watch himself, occasionally swimming around the tank.

Am I doing anything wrong, or is he just getting used to the tank?

Thank you

How big is your tank? It might be needing more space? I know this because I've experienced it. But probably because he's new to the tank.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a live earthworm if you can find one.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 24 60.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 5.0%
Back