Possible disease/injury

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Today I noticed a strange spot on my clown fish I'm not sure if it's an injury or if it's some disease. Recently they have started hosting this carpet so is it just the anemone stinging them causing injury?

IMG_6039.PNG

IMG_6037.JPG

IMG_6038.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. Most likely hypermalinization ( i still can't spell it!) It will go away on it's own as the clown gets used to it's new host and it's sting.

Hyper-Melanization

Common in clownfish, this appears as brown spots or ovals where a stinging coral or nem as come into contact with the fish’s skin. Typically nothing needs to be done to cure this as the clown becomes accustomed to it’s new host’s sting. This can occur with other fish, but again no action needs to be taken. It will heal up on it’s own.
hypermalinization-png.464581

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay good! It's pink and bloody looking that's why I thought I would run it past the disease squad! I will keep an eye out for infection!

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to get it to show up but it looks like scales have been ripped off? It's pink around the edges

IMG_6042.PNG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a closer look

IMG_6043.PNG

I take back my hypermalinization.... I now think this is an injury of some sort that may be mildly infected. You can do a couple things for this. Add vitamins to his food (selcon, vitachem as examples). Feed wtih antibiotics like Kanaplex coupled with Focus to bind it. Or just wait it out and see what happens. I like the vitamin route personally. If it gets worse, then antibiotics will be needed - preferably dosed in the water in qt since they will work better that way.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will try the vitamin and medicine in the food I usually use the kanaplex might have to go that route!

Just be sure to add Focus to it to bind the kanaplex to the food and make it reef safe. I would also run carbon - if you don't already- just to be safe.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys so now I actually do have a case of hyper-melanization, I purchased a green carpet today and my little buddy clearly didn't have a strong enough slime coat :confused:
He looks pretty messed up in a bad way! Should I be worried/do I need to intervene here? What to do :eek:

IMG_6072.JPG

IMG_6074.JPG

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like hyper melanization in my opinion. It looks like a fish with tons of flukes would look after a FW dip. Odd. @Humblefish I could use your eye on this one.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn't look like hyper melanization in my opinion. It looks like a fish with tons of flukes would look after a FW dip. Odd. @Humblefish I could use your eye on this one.

Nonot flukes! Promise I watched it happen 100% positive on that! That's stings from the new carpet! Swam right in and almost got stuck!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a B&W Ocellaris, right? Weird those usually pair up with mags & gigs.

However, under the circumstances I would remove both clowns and give them a M Blue bath: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/methylene-blue.257467/

They will also probably need antibiotics (Kanaplex) in a QT afterwards.

OP
OP
Christopher Davis

Christopher Davis

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a B&W Ocellaris, right? Weird those usually pair up with mags & gigs.

However, under the circumstances I would remove both clowns and give them a M Blue bath: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/methylene-blue.257467/

They will also probably need antibiotics (Kanaplex) in a QT afterwards.
They are pretty juvenile still, so I'm guess that's what caused it? The other one is perfectly health and fine both are eating. Why do you suggest removing both curious? Thank you for your input!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.9%
Back