Possible ich outbreak

clownfish_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, not the best first post but I really need help on what I should do

Recently I had a coral beauty angle die due to ich. A week before its death I noticed a bit of white spots but after a day it seemed to clear up a bit so I didn’t think it anything crucial. A few days later the white spots came back and about 2 days after it died.

Now up to my current problem. I have 2 chromis, a pair of clowns, a black cap basslet, a purple firefish, and a tomini tang. Recently the tang has started twitching while swimming and flashing a bit too. I’ve only seen the firefish flash about 3 times. 1 of the chromis had been twitching once in a while too and same with a female clown. The basslet has been flashing against the rock the most.

I do have a 13 gal fluval evo I can use as a quarantine and my LFS said that should be ok. They recommend raising the temp to 80 degrees as before I had it at 75.

Just wanted to come here to ask for help on what I should do and what steps I should take for treating the fish. The tank they are in now is a display tank with 2 corals and plenty invertebrates that’s why I would like to avoid dosing copper as I would like to make it a full reef tank. Thank you everyone for your time and any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi everyone, not the best first post but I really need help on what I should do

Recently I had a coral beauty angle die due to ich. A week before its death I noticed a bit of white spots but after a day it seemed to clear up a bit so I didn’t think it anything crucial. A few days later the white spots came back and about 2 days after it died.

Now up to my current problem. I have 2 chromis, a pair of clowns, a black cap basslet, a purple firefish, and a tomini tang. Recently the tang has started twitching while swimming and flashing a bit too. I’ve only seen the firefish flash about 3 times. 1 of the chromis had been twitching once in a while too and same with a female clown. The basslet has been flashing against the rock the most.

I do have a 13 gal fluval evo I can use as a quarantine and my LFS said that should be ok. They recommend raising the temp to 80 degrees as before I had it at 75.

Just wanted to come here to ask for help on what I should do and what steps I should take for treating the fish. The tank they are in now is a display tank with 2 corals and plenty invertebrates that’s why I would like to avoid dosing copper as I would like to make it a full reef tank. Thank you everyone for your time and any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Firefish tend to twitch/spike while swimming but the behavior you mention with the tomini is not. Possible suspect is flukes but a video of at least 20 seconds will be helpful under white light intensity
Is the breathing rate of fish elevated and eating normal or losing appetite?

OP
OP
C

clownfish_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well first welcome to Reef2Reef! And in fact you joined on my birthday! Now for the ich problem... I will tag a fish doctor too see if they can help! @vetteguy53081 #fishdocters
Sorry for the late reply haven’t been on here but hope you had a great birthday and thanks for the tag

OP
OP
C

clownfish_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Firefish tend to twitch/spike while swimming but the behavior you mention with the tomini is not. Possible suspect is flukes but a video of at least 20 seconds will be helpful under white light intensity
Is the breathing rate of fish elevated and eating normal or losing appetite?
As for now I noticed the tang calm down on the twitching but my main concern now are the clownfish and basslet. The clownfish has been laying near the bottom and it’s eyes are a bit cloudy. It’s still eating like normal and going for food aggressively. On the other hand the basslet isn’t doing so great. It’s been flashing a lot and doesn’t go after food anymore. It comes up and stays in a corner for while the returns to its cave. I’ve had a quarantine tank set up for 2 days with established bio max and I dosed some bottled bacteria. Temp is 76 degrees and salinity is 1.025. I’m planning on adding the fish to the tank in the morning. Thanks again for the help and any other advice would be appreciated!

OP
OP
C

clownfish_reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for now I noticed the tang calm down on the twitching but my main concern now are the clownfish and basslet. The clownfish has been laying near the bottom and it’s eyes are a bit cloudy. It’s still eating like normal and going for food aggressively. On the other hand the basslet isn’t doing so great. It’s been flashing a lot and doesn’t go after food anymore. It comes up and stays in a corner for while the returns to its cave. I’ve had a quarantine tank set up for 2 days with established bio max and I dosed some bottled bacteria. Temp is 76 degrees and salinity is 1.025. I’m planning on adding the fish to the tank in the morning. Thanks again for the help and any other advice would be appreciated!
Here are some pics of the angel before he died I don’t know if this might help but the spots were more noticeable in person

Attachments

• IMG_9794.jpeg
    IMG_9794.jpeg
    624.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_9793.jpeg
    IMG_9793.jpeg
    137.8 KB · Views: 16

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Dont let the change in behavior or appearance fool you. Often, the cysts will drop off to reproduce and return in numbers. By not being proactive, the disease will take control of the fish and make treatment more difficult

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 125 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back