Possible Lymphocystis in Coral Beauty

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this Coral Beauty Angelfish last weekend from my LFS and after drip acclimating him to my QT and got him swimming around, I noticed these two white, pyramidal bumps below his mouth. He is eating normally and swimming around QT just fine, exploring the PVC tunnels, and occasionally picking at live rock. I'm not sure if these are just some sort of growth that might go away over time or if it's something like lymphocystis. I'd like some advice on if this is, in fact, lymphocystis and if these bumps should affect when I move him to my DT. I typically keep my fish in QT for two weeks minimum for observation and if I don't notice anything I move them to my DT. I've never had to treat a fish or even feed specific foods to treat anything so all help is appreciated. In the first picture, you can see them on him below the mouth and in the second, it's more visible in his reflection. Thanks again!

IMG_20171029_163808.jpg

IMG_20171029_163807.jpg

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be Lympho or possibly a bacterial infection: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/bacterial-infections.191511/

I think I would play it safe and treat with a mild antibiotic (like Kanaplex).

Thank you! Funny you were the first to reply. My wife and I were talking about the fish last night and she wanted me to take the pictures to another LFS for a second opinion. I told her I wanted to post to R2R first because there's this guy @Humblefish that I'm sure will have some insight/advice. Thanks again!

OP
OP
pluikens

pluikens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I just wanted to follow up and thank you for the advice on the coral beauty. He is doing great after a treatment of Kanaplex and the spot on his chin has been gone for weeks now! I'm so pleased to have this kind of support available. Thanks again!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I just wanted to follow up and thank you for the advice on the coral beauty. He is doing great after a treatment of Kanaplex and the spot on his chin has been gone for weeks now! I'm so pleased to have this kind of support available. Thanks again!
We are so glad it worked! :)

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 15 57.7%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.8%
Back