Possible Palytoxin exposure?

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i'll try to be as succinct as possible
Earlier today around 2:55pm PST, I had irresponsibly ripped/lifted out of tank (what I believe to be) Zoanthid colonies off of rock to transfer to another tank.
My total handling time was no more than 5 mins, and the 4 handfuls of zoa were exposed to air for no more than 5 seconds each.
No squirting was observed. No sliming was noticed.
Am I at any risk given I am this far after exposure with no symptoms?

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think you're fine, wash your hands again ,don't touch eyes,
seek med attention if anything occurs... ;)

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What gave you the indication that zoanthids regularly contain palytoxin?

It is important to understand that palytoxin is not present in every species of “zoa”. I have heard many knowledgeable aquarists incorrectly state that all “zoanthids” contain it and are therefore dangerous, which is not accurate whatsoever. Such blanket statements show a lack of expertise in these corals and the extensive research recently published on them. One such study (Deeds et al 2011) focused on aquarium specimens and found that there is likely a single lineage of button polyps which is truly dangerous to the general aquarium community.

The truly potent species appear to be limited entirely to the genus Palythoa, which is currently placed in a separate
family, Sphenopidae. Pedantically speaking, these are neither “zoas” nor zoanthids, so be careful with your choice of words when discussing them.

Caution is always the best course of action, but you almost certainly have a better chance of catching some flesh-eating bacteria or losing a finger due to infection from your tank than you do of getting palytoxin poisoning from zoanthids.

OP
OP
philfree

philfree

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What gave you the indication that zoanthids regularly contain palytoxin?

I have read that, and I guess i'm not entirely confident that they are indeed zoanthids.
They have been in my tank as stow aways for a few years and today just decided to rehome them to a nearby tank because they were taking over

DSC_7453.jpg

Kenyon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fishing captain and always have open cuts and wounds on my hands and handle multiple zoanthids every day and have no issues. If your worried go buy gloves before you handle them

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be on the side of caution keep a bottle of 20 year old scotch ...er ... um.. sorry wrong post !!! Kidding !! On a serious note since I’m late to this post by a few days I think if your able to hit my like button tonight your probably ok . That being said I hope your alright and if I had seen this in time I would have told you to run carbon in the tank and monitor yourself for the next couple of hours .

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 43.4%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 89 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 43 16.1%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.5%
Back