Possible to de-rim or eupobrace this tank?

JCrowe86

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an older 100g tank 60"L x 18" W x 20"H with 1/2in thick glass. It has was appears to be a wooden rim with roughly a 8in wide glass cross brace in the middle. The way the cross brace is installed is it is siliconed to little glass lips they put on the inside of the tank. This lip is interfering with where I planned on installing my overflow box. I would have to put it lower than I want if it goes in the middle.

Would I reasonably be able to de-rim the tank and install just a glass cross brace across the top of the glass rather just inside of it as it currently is? Or could I eurobrace the whole tank or is just leaving it rimless an option?

20200505_161403.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never seen a tank with a wooden rim and I'm old. Slate bottoms yes, wooden rim no

cvrle1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased an older 100g tank 60"L x 18" W x 20"H with 1/2in thick glass. It has was appears to be a wooden rim with roughly a 8in wide glass cross brace in the middle. The way the cross brace is installed is it is siliconed to little glass lips they put on the inside of the tank. This lip is interfering with where I planned on installing my overflow box. I would have to put it lower than I want if it goes in the middle.

Would I reasonably be able to de-rim the tank and install just a glass cross brace across the top of the glass rather just inside of it as it currently is? Or could I eurobrace the whole tank or is just leaving it rimless an option?

20200505_161403.jpg

Brace is there for a reason, taking it off and not replacing it is asking for trouble. Your tank will come apart at the seams sooner or later if you do that. What you could do thought is proper euro brace all around.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 39 19.7%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 147 74.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 4.5%
Back