Possible velvet?

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can velvet appear out of no where? I have 10 fish in my tank and haven’t added anything for 3 months, but did add 5 trochus snails a week ago.

Coral, snails, and now my blue throat wrasse is dying, and my smallest Bimac Anthias is stressed and hiding.

I’m preparing a water change as we speak.

I read that “Velvet disease in fish is caused by thedinoflagellate parasites”, does this mean the dinos I’ve been battling could have cause it? I have no idea if it is velvet but the wrasse is starting to look pale.

Other thread I have for details. I posted again because now I have fish which need immediate help.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have inverts and coral suffering too, then it's likely not velvet, or a disease. You're looking at a systemic issue with water quality, or a toxin.
Thank you. I want sure and panicked. While on the phone with someone asking for help, the wrasse started swimming more normal again as if it is starting to recover. I have no idea if adding some DIY coral snow bound some of the toxins to get filtered out.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 - the general rule is if you are having issues with fish AND invertebrates, the problem is with water quality and not a fish disease. Of course, you can easily have a water quality issue AND a disease at the same time (ugh).

Jay

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 - the general rule is if you are having issues with fish AND invertebrates, the problem is with water quality and not a fish disease. Of course, you can easily have a water quality issue AND a disease at the same time (ugh).

Jay
Thank you. Just wanted to rule that out and cause more stress trying to remove the fish.

What’s best course of action? Just carbon and water change? I believe this will fuel the Dino again but I believe the short term outweighs the long term right now. My fish are the most important to me.

Ben.QLD2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspected toxin = large water change and large amount of carbon. Repeat water changes as necessary.

Water quality (ammonia etc) = large water changes across several days and constantly check levels. Assess what went wrong and fix it. This would normally be a newer tank issue, unless something has significantly gone wrong, like broken return pump, large fish died and went unnoticed etc. Sometimes a VERY LARGE temperature swing can cause a nitrifying bacteria die off, but you would have seen effects on the fish, inverts, and coral if a swing that large occurred.

OP
OP
B

buruskeee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suspected toxin = large water change and large amount of carbon. Repeat water changes as necessary.

Water quality (ammonia etc) = large water changes across several days and constantly check levels. Assess what went wrong and fix it. This would normally be a newer tank issue, unless something has significantly gone wrong, like broken return pump, large fish died and went unnoticed etc. Sometimes a VERY LARGE temperature swing can cause a nitrifying bacteria die off, but you would have seen effects on the fish, inverts, and coral if a swing that large occurred.
Dinos being more toxic than assumed is my guess. I’ve been battling LCA but because I let the GHA go rampant thinking it would help outcompete it, the LCA just attached to it instead. Absolutely nothing changed in the last 10 days since adding carbon besides snails dying and coral stressing all at the same time. I tested ammonia in addition to the salifert color chart in sump, no trace. I’m replacing carbon and water changing. I guess short term benefit outweighs long term of feeding the Dino with the WC.

dstew03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! Can anyone tell if this is velvet, or something else. I recently bought a coral beauty angel from my LFS and it didn't make it after only one day. Hoping it didn't bring something with it. I've had this pair of clowns since last July. Never any issues. This one has not been eating and acting really lethargic over the past 10 days. My other one and my Banggai Cardinals all seem perfectly fine, with the exception that my other clown seems really sad now...

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Help! Can anyone tell if this is velvet, or something else. I recently bought a coral beauty angel from my LFS and it didn't make it after only one day. Hoping it didn't bring something with it. I've had this pair of clowns since last July. Never any issues. This one has not been eating and acting really lethargic over the past 10 days. My other one and my Banggai Cardinals all seem perfectly fine, with the exception that my other clown seems really sad now...
Sorry, I’m out of town and can’t view your video on my phone.
Can you host it on YouTube?

Velvet typically causes rapid breathing followed soon by death. If you can see spots, it’s usually ich. Brooklynelka makes the fish mopey and develop mucus on their skin.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back