Powder brown in QT

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey so my Powder brown is currently in QT, I got it on Sunday and it seemed fine, it’s in QT, didn’t add anything to let them settle in. The other fish are eating, the powder brown hasn’t eaten yet, it’s only been two days so I figured it might take some time. I added some copper power to the tank, it’s at 1.95, I’ll slowly ramp it up to 2.5 but hopefully it’ll eat tomorrow morning. I just saw a brown speck towards the back along the spine, is that a normal discoloration? Just want to make sure.

2C083FD8-68BD-4D4E-9B26-9F2358217AC0.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey so my Powder brown is currently in QT, I got it on Sunday and it seemed fine, it’s in QT, didn’t add anything to let them settle in. The other fish are eating, the powder brown hasn’t eaten yet, it’s only been two days so I figured it might take some time. I added some copper power to the tank, it’s at 1.95, I’ll slowly ramp it up to 2.5 but hopefully it’ll eat tomorrow morning. I just saw a brown speck towards the back along the spine, is that a normal discoloration? Just want to make sure.

It’s a thumbprint which may be from bacterial issue or imprint from netting
Keep an eye on it to assure it’s not getting darker or larger.
Regarding copper- I assume the tank is a Quarantine. How are you testing copper level?
More important, Do NOT ramp up copper but get to at least 2.25ppm for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored by a reliable Copper Test kit such as Hanna Brand- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
Increasing copper slowly can allow disease to gain resistance making it tougher to treat disease. You need to add partial doses and get to the full treatment level in the next day.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It should be eating by now. It may not be comfortable in a small QT, and it may have just bumped itself against something.

You'll want to monitor the ammonia closely, and remember that copper power will create a positive ammonia test that will cloud your actual ammonia reading. You are almost at full copper, just 0.55 ppm away, so if you have a Hanna checker (sounds like you do) then you can go right up to full today.

Jay

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thank you @vetteguy53081 and @Jay Hemdal
Yes I use the Hannah copper tester, have put in air stones for the lil guy. I’ve been adding garlic to the food so I’ll see if he eats today. Makes sense because I tested last night and did see ammonia wheras the night before there was no ammonia just .50 nitrite. It’s a new QT, I added the biospheres from my main tanks and also added fritz turbo 900. Should I be concerned about the nitrite. I was thinking if maybe just removing the fluval (in case it’s causing the nitrite issue) and just keep an air stone and heater in there and do a couple gallon WC every other day (the QT is only 10gallons). I wonder if the nitrite is maybe the reason he’s not eating?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Thank you @vetteguy53081 and @Jay Hemdal
Yes I use the Hannah copper tester, have put in air stones for the lil guy. I’ve been adding garlic to the food so I’ll see if he eats today. Makes sense because I tested last night and did see ammonia wheras the night before there was no ammonia just .50 nitrite. It’s a new QT, I added the biospheres from my main tanks and also added fritz turbo 900. Should I be concerned about the nitrite. I was thinking if maybe just removing the fluval (in case it’s causing the nitrite issue) and just keep an air stone and heater in there and do a couple gallon WC every other day (the QT is only 10gallons). I wonder if the nitrite is maybe the reason he’s not eating?
Disregard nitrite but focus on ammonia. Dont go heavy with garlic as its rarely an enticer as many claim it is. It help the immune system to a degree.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great! I’ll stick to selcon, thank you so much!
Also the powder brown did nibble on some food this morning, didn’t eat much but at least a few bites. It swims around a lot though, it’s gonna be an energetic one.

OP
OP
newreef1

newreef1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also the powder brown did nibble on some food this morning, didn’t eat much but at least a few bites. It swims around a lot though, it’s gonna be an energetic one.
Just checked ammonia shows zero, nitrite is still at .50 ppm. But you said I shouldn’t be too worried about nitrite also added copper to bring the total conc. up

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back