Power Strip Choices?

Flexin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Individual switches are the way to go short from automated switches (controllers).

For my apex switch, I have the tank in a corner and built a box to sit behind the cabinet. I can access it through the back of the cabinet and just about everything is in there. Gave me so much more room in the cabinet. Then I have another strip with individual switches on the side for non automated items in the cabinet. I have them on the side where my fresh water resivouir sits to have some distance from the salt water sump.

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another power strip choice for those that don't have the funds for an aquarium controller is a WiFi powerstrip.
Here is a 6 outlet strip. You can do in voice actuated and set up timers for lights and turn off/on out lets pretty handy power strip.
51uR1SuuctL._SL1000_.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another power strip choice for those that don't have the funds for an aquarium controller is a WiFi powerstrip.
Here is a 6 outlet strip. You can do in voice actuated and set up timers for lights and turn off/on out lets pretty handy power strip.

I don't have this particular item but I do have about a dozen Kasa smart bulbs, smart switches, and smart outlets scattered around the house. They all work flawlessly, including easy integration with Amazon Alexa.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sandbox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a club member show me his this past weekend. It was only a 4 outlet model and I found this 6 outlet model which is perfect.

aarbutina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am having a hard time finding it right now but there was a thread a while back that someone was talking about the dangers of using non industrial powerstrips/surge protectors. There was some pretty scary photos of power strips that have arched and had the potential for cause a very serious fire. There were also photos of the inside of some of these strips which showed the very poor wiring that is typically used. Ultimately the recommendation came down to using a strip similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FVQO0E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

41LVzRjuMlL.jpg

The internal wiring is much more rugged. As someone how had a skimmer geyser in my sump area that splash a power strip and almost set the whole thing a blaze i don't like messing around. While this doesn't have a bunch of switches (or any switches) and isn't a "smart" strip. I would rather know that it was going to handle the electricity well. I have my APEX do all the smart functions. I also have since installed a GFI/AFI outlet that the majority of my components run off of. Now some of the resident electrical gurus may have something to say about that, but I would rather have my tank shut down if something arches than burn down my house.

For those of you who have electrical components under near you cabinet where salt spray can be a real thing, take time to wipe them down so there isn't a build up of salt. It may be one of the best pieces of preventative maintenance you can do. Not only will it save you tank, it could save your house, or even you. While we don't often thing about it, there is a very real risk of fire with this hobby.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back