Powerhead Placement

krookedsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers,

Long time lurker. Thanks to all who post. Id like to ask if my powerhead positioning feels good. I have two MP40s mounted on the back, I would like to keep them there for the clean look, but seeking confirmation if it'll work. Im currently mid ugly stage. I'd like to have a mixed reef primarily having LPS. Both MP40's are running at about 35x turnover 3000GPH-4000GPH. I have a couple small frags of zoas that seem happy and open along with two designer clowns. As for other equipment of importance I have 100gal Nuvo EXT, 80lb caribsea arogonite sand, 55lbs marco rock, 2 vectra S2's returning from the sump at about 200 GPH each. Like most I want to ensure I have proper flow. I have taken an RO line and blown bubbles into the powerhead to watch where my flow goes. It seems adequate. And due to the ugly stage and no rock grazing fish yet (tomorrow in the mail from BIOTA! woo!) Also due to my ugly rocks at the moment i can watch the movement of the little hairs. They seem to be moving well.
Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 6.54.16 PM.png

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It will work, how well depends on how the flow interacts with the scape. . . at least in my opinion. If you like the look I say go with it for now and see how it goes.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My thought is that the area in back below the powerheads will be a huge low flow area.

All the flow will push forward against the front glass which to me seems like a limear flow patter, whereas we try to have random flow pattern.

If the powerheads are on too high, I think the sand in front would get displaced.

Above is just my thoughts, no idea if they are valid concern or not.

OP
OP
krookedsession

krookedsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good advice on possible low flow in the back. I suspect you’re right. I moved the mp40 midway down on the left side aimed down the back wall. I don’t have a sandstorm luckily with anything under 60% while it was on the back wall.

I’ll keep it as a side mount for now and observe.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 22.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 55 31.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back