Powerheads on back wall?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought another jebao ow40 so I have 2 with my 90 gallon. My issue is that only 1 side wall is accessible. For placement should I put both on the back wall and face a certain direction or 1 on the side and 1 in the back? Any thoughts are appreciated. I'll include a tank shot for better visual

15671195836082375880121683055309.jpg

Amboss72

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience I don’t like my powerheads working against each other. That said I would either put both on the one side with one being placed lower and the other placed higher or I would place both on the back wall in the same type configuration. This allows the lower powerhead to bring the stuff up from the bottom and the higher powerhead to push it out the overflow.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always place both of mine on the back wall about 3/4 up from the bottom, pointing slightly up towards the front center.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a five foot 90 gallon tank, and my powerheads are both backwall and sidewall. Four MP40's, one MP10

Vortech Placement.JPG

Jay Z

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly everyones tank is different, general shape and sizes are the same, Rock work makes your flow unique to your tank. Best way is to take some advice on location lightly, then proceed to install your new pump. Feel free to move them around the tank until you get a flow you like throughout the tank.

Start where you would like to put it. If not acceptable, start moving it around. Sometimes a inch is the difference between a sand storm and perfect random flow.

I personally run 2 on the side close to the front up high and a third in the side back lower corner blowing behind my rock work.

This setup keeps everything suspended in my water column.

If I asked for thoughts on pump placement I would have never got my pumps in these locations.

So some suggestions and trial and error might be your best start on this.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So some suggestions and trial and error might be your best start on this.

^ Well said. I run 5 power heads on 3 wave makers in my 125. I'm a big fan of random flow and turbulence. It took some doing to get the flow the way I like it.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 2 tunze 6095's on the back wall and 2 jebao pw-25's on eack side of my 120. All are set on pulse with about 10 second intervals. Nice random flow and keeps the bb detrius free.
This depends on your rock placement so no 2 tanks will be the same.
Also, as the tank matures powerhead placement will most likely change.
2 Jebao ow-40's on the back wall pointed at the center front of your tank and on pulse is a great start.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
REDFISHBLUEFISH is the best example of how I recommend flow.
Typical install is 1-2 on the left side and right side staggered. I recommend a gyre in the middle also and on pulse mode

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm old, and so are my MP's. I have the old style controllers...
Equipment Cabinet 2.jpg

and have them set to "yellow," which I believe is called reef-crest mode....and they are not sync'ed....and at about 50-60%. Note that the speed control on these old guys is really a guess, because it's that black "stick" on the lower left of the controller, and you just need to guess where it's set.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 177 72.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.9%
Back