Pre cycle rock?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I can use some dry rock recommendations. I've seen were people use dry to build some aquascape features. I'd like to do that then mix with the LR. Are there some better than others? Some that are more "buildable" than others. Thanks.
I've used old rock from my saved bin and dry old rock from local reefers and that was the best IMO that I've found. Hand picked pieces for shape and size.
I started a tank from mostly marco rock and I ended up taking it down a year or so later. One of the reasons I just didn't like the shape or the look. It was all mail order so I had no control over the picks.
My last 2 tanks I started I used Real Reef rock and have been pretty happy with it for 6-7 years

drtechno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, I’m probably the king of this question due to my delayed Reef Savvy build (see build thread). As a synopsis, I waited 2-3 years for my tank, after initially thinking it would be 6 months.

Therefore, I cycled my rocks 2+ years. Lol. I had heaters and power heads conditioning the water. I did occasional water changes (like every couple of months). No lights tho. So my strategy was first cycle with the Brightwell product for a long time (6+ months). I kept feeding the tubs after that. Finally, to attempt to add biodiversity, I added ocean direct live sand for like the last year. I ran a biome test at some point after to see what the bacterial population looked like

Having gone through that process, I have had no significant ugly phase. The one thing I have had was a phase of some type of brown hair algae (that nothing would eat) but it seems like any issues I’ve had mostly relate to lights on pests. And those have been limited.

Definitely don’t anticipate many others having such a lengthy cycling time, but I would encourage seeding additional bacteria with oceans direct at some point. And I would have added some light at some point to start the photosynthetic warfare.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if I "cook" my live rock and Macro or Reef rock will that take the place of cycling the tank when I'm ready? And I'm wondering if I should put my live sand in with my rock to get that going as well?

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK. Great. I'm in between getting some LR from my lfs and possibly online also. I found Premium aqucultured live rock from US Live rock. 50 lbs for 339.00 with free delivery. And I found Real Reef Rock from SaltwaterAquarium.com. 50 llbs for 350.00 plus delivery. (not that I'm getting only 50 lbs it's just for a price comparison). My question is why should I buy man made dry rock when I can get man made LR for less? I know I'm probably missing the bigger picture. But SaltwaterAquarium.com also has 50 lbs of Marco rock for 166.00 plus delivery. Is the difference between Marco and Reef rock just the coloration?

Edit: I think I answered my own question. It seems Real Reef rock is actually live rock.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is what I ordered.

From BRS:
Large MR Coralline Foundation Rock - MarcoRocks which are 6 to 13 lbs each
MR Coralline Shelf Rock (20 lbs) - MarcoRocks
E-Marco-400 Aquascaping Mortar Complete Kit - Coralline Color - MarcoRocks

From US Live Rock:
Live Rock Rubble - 20 lbs
Premium Aquacultured Live Rock - 50 lbs
Premium Dry Rock - 50 lbs

I figured I'd start this cooking while I'm getting the reef system together (currently building my stand):
stand.jpg

Still have some bracing and cross supports to do but it's coming along.

I was thinking maybe I'd put some of the rock in the sump when ready? Live sand also? Or no sand in sump?

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Marco Rocks came today. The live rock is still to come, hopefully soon. I'm assuming I'll just wait for the LR to come in and then put them all in a tub with some water movement. No light I believe I read. No sense in putting the Marco in salt water now with some Tims or something?

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, let it soak. Gets all the air bubbles out, gets the water deep into the rock so it will be g2g with your live once it shows up. No, dont light it. The bottle bac is up to you, if you have live coming i wouldnt bother as it will spread anyways. Wont hurt anything though should you want to though.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, let it soak. Gets all the air bubbles out, gets the water deep into the rock so it will be g2g with your live once it shows up. No, dont light it. The bottle bac is up to you, if you have live coming i wouldnt bother as it will spread anyways. Wont hurt anything though should you want to though.
Ok sounds like the plan! Thanks for all the great advice.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
No sense in putting the Marco in salt water now with some Tims or something?
If this were my project I would start the rock now.
Put it in a barrel of saltwater, heater, and a powerhead and add some bottle bacteria and some ammonia ( according to the directions on the Dr Tims website).
Why wait?

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this were my project I would start the rock now.
Put it in a barrel of saltwater, heater, and a powerhead and add some bottle bacteria and some ammonia ( according to the directions on the Dr Tims website).
Why wait?
True. Nothing wrong with a head start.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to starting off my LR while the tank is still being built would you think starting pods, etc. in there with the rocks is not a good idea? Is it better to wait for the tank to be up and running? I'm not sure if the pods need the normal aquarium environment to survive.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to starting off my LR while the tank is still being built would you think starting pods, etc. in there with the rocks is not a good idea? Is it better to wait for the tank to be up and running? I'm not sure if the pods need the normal aquarium environment to survive.
You could. Just make sure there isnt detectable amounts of ammonia. The only problem with that is some of the pods will be on the wall of the container so you'll have to sort that out when the time comes. Feed them phyto and some fish food.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I wouldn't bother.
You can seed the tank once it's up and running, if you think you need extra. They usually show up with new corals and breed pretty well in a tank.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thought about the sand. Would it be a good idea to put that in with my cooking rocks just to get that going as well with the cycling? My thought is that once the rock is ready and I get the new water with the cooked rock into the tank and then add the sand that wasn’t cycled already that it would need to go through some cycling of its own. Does anyone see any problems with my putting the sand in with the rock during the pre-cycle?

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One other thought about the sand. Would it be a good idea to put that in with my cooking rocks just to get that going as well with the cycling? My thought is that once the rock is ready and I get the new water with the cooked rock into the tank and then add the sand that wasn’t cycled already that it would need to go through some cycling of its own. Does anyone see any problems with my putting the sand in with the rock during the pre-cycle?
Dont do it. Just cycle rocks. Use your new sand when setting up tank. Sure it'll take awhile to get your sand doing anything beneficial but your rock will handle the majority of the load anyway, unless you are planning a deep sand bed. Even if you plan a deep sand bed 4+" wait to add it on set up.

OP
OP
mikebusc

mikebusc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. What’s your reasoning though just out of curiosity. Can something bad become of it or it’s just not worth the extra mess of transferring it from the tub to the new tank?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 99 79.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back