Predator stocking opinions for new 125gal

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Set up my new budget build 125 gal acrylic about a month ago. Cycle is complete and ready to start adding fish. This is my first big tank although I realize 125gal really isn't that big where saltwater predator fish are concerned. The tank is 60"x 24" x 18" with wet dry filter and sump, very large canister filter (actually a hot tub filter), and protein skimmer. Also have a wave maker power head for increased water movement. I plan on putting in the following and letting them grow into the tank as long as everyone keeps the peace with one another, but you never know with saltwater fish! I have kept some of these fish in the past and know their general nature but some I have not, so any experiences you've had with the species listed when housed with others on the list is appreciated. I also plan on having some hearty soft corals like leathers, GSP, etc, that can survive the predators.

Planned Stocking List in order to be stocked (always subject to change and I'm aware I may have to re-home a resident or two somewhere down the line if they outgrow the tank.)

3 Azure Damsels (not sure if I should put these in first or last due to the fact my past damsel experiences were the spawn of Satan regardless of when they went in, but the Azure is suppose to be the least aggressive.)

1 Large maroon clown with BTA

1 Tennentii Tang

1 Niger Trigger

1 Huma Huma Trigger

1 Red Coris Wrasse

1 Dragon Wrasse (on the fence with this guy... really want one but I've heard it's a 50/50 shot on if they become murderous with the rest of the residents.)

*Back up fish I really want and could substitute from the above list if feasible*

- Australian Harlequin Tusk
- Marine Beta

Thanks in advance on sharing your experience!

IMG_20200422_200649365.jpg

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No first hand experience with the listed fish except the Marine Betta. As to that one, it really is a pretty chill fish that once acustomed to the tank just likes to lazily drift across the display. Large, somewhat delicate fins don't go well with aggressive fin nippers. That being said, I would highly recommend one if it will mesh with your stock list. Gorgeous fish.

Niger triggers as I understand, grow quite large, and would definitely outgrow the tank at some point. I was going to get one for my 120, but was convinced otherwise.

Have you considered an eel at all? They are awesome, don't take up much room, but require hefty filtration.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 Azure Damsels (not sure if I should put these in first or last due to the fact my past damsel experiences were the spawn of Satan regardless of when they went in, but the Azure is suppose to be the least aggressive.)
Blue Sapphire Damsels are very peaceful. Stunning dark blue color that kinda glows a bit.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon mostly soft coral reef with a 4" picasso Trigger, 5" niger trigger, 5" hippo tang, a large Pair of Saddleback clowns and a smaller pair of Gold stripe maroon clowns. First fish was the Hippo at the size of nickel. Next fish were the very small maroon clowns, then added the niger at 2", then the pair of very large Saddleback clowns and last was the picasso. The only issues were the female saddleback beat the crap out of the female maroon at first. That lasted about a month and they have been peaceful for 1.5 years. The Maroons are living behind a pump in the back corner of the tank but come out all the time to eat. The Niger is the king of the tank and will occasionally chase the other around but has never hurt anyone. The female maroon gets a little aggressive when someone gets near her corner...unless it's the saddleback then they just hide. Forget having a clean up crew. The triggers and saddlebacks will move corals around if they are not glued. One other issue is I can't add tiny frags, they have to be pretty good size or the picasso will pick them off the plug. I got a tiny green toadstool about the size of a dime stuck to a frag plug. He popped it off and either ate it or it just got lost in the tank somewhere. None of them bother larger corals.

OP
OP
SaltyDog67

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No first hand experience with the listed fish except the Marine Betta. As to that one, it really is a pretty chill fish that once acustomed to the tank just likes to lazily drift across the display. Large, somewhat delicate fins don't go well with aggressive fin nippers. That being said, I would highly recommend one if it will mesh with your stock list. Gorgeous fish.

Niger triggers as I understand, grow quite large, and would definitely outgrow the tank at some point. I was going to get one for my 120, but was convinced otherwise.

Have you considered an eel at all? They are awesome, don't take up much room, but require hefty filtration.
Considered an eel, but after extensive research decided against it in the long run. Size was also my concern on the Niger but I've read and heard they dont get as big in captivity. Maybe a Marine Beta would be a better choice in place of the Niger...decisions, decisions.

OP
OP
SaltyDog67

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Niger trigger is going to my lfs he is getting aggressive with my smaller fish in my FOWLR.
What other fish do you have in with him, and how big is he and what size tank? I may end up cancelling the Niger but still undecided.

OP
OP
SaltyDog67

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 gallon mostly soft coral reef with a 4" picasso Trigger, 5" niger trigger, 5" hippo tang, a large Pair of Saddleback clowns and a smaller pair of Gold stripe maroon clowns. First fish was the Hippo at the size of nickel. Next fish were the very small maroon clowns, then added the niger at 2", then the pair of very large Saddleback clowns and last was the picasso. The only issues were the female saddleback beat the crap out of the female maroon at first. That lasted about a month and they have been peaceful for 1.5 years. The Maroons are living behind a pump in the back corner of the tank but come out all the time to eat. The Niger is the king of the tank and will occasionally chase the other around but has never hurt anyone. The female maroon gets a little aggressive when someone gets near her corner...unless it's the saddleback then they just hide. Forget having a clean up crew. The triggers and saddlebacks will move corals around if they are not glued. One other issue is I can't add tiny frags, they have to be pretty good size or the picasso will pick them off the plug. I got a tiny green toadstool about the size of a dime stuck to a frag plug. He popped it off and either ate it or it just got lost in the tank somewhere. None of them bother larger corals.
Wow, cant believe the maroons let the saddlebacks bully them around! Maroons are usually the most aggressive clown on the block, lol. I'm prepared for the Picasso to move stuff around and spit sand on everything...I had one in the past and they are such cool fish! Pretty much like a dog in a tank. Never had a Niger before so not sure on its behaviors yet.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Set up my new budget build 125 gal acrylic about a month ago. Cycle is complete and ready to start adding fish. This is my first big tank although I realize 125gal really isn't that big where saltwater predator fish are concerned. The tank is 60"x 24" x 18" with wet dry filter and sump, very large canister filter (actually a hot tub filter), and protein skimmer. Also have a wave maker power head for increased water movement. I plan on putting in the following and letting them grow into the tank as long as everyone keeps the peace with one another, but you never know with saltwater fish! I have kept some of these fish in the past and know their general nature but some I have not, so any experiences you've had with the species listed when housed with others on the list is appreciated. I also plan on having some hearty soft corals like leathers, GSP, etc, that can survive the predators.

Planned Stocking List in order to be stocked (always subject to change and I'm aware I may have to re-home a resident or two somewhere down the line if they outgrow the tank.)

1 Large maroon clown with BTA

1 Tennentii Tang

1 Niger Trigger

1 Huma Huma Trigger

1 Red Coris Wrasse

1 Dragon Wrasse (on the fence with this guy... really want one but I've heard it's a 50/50 shot on if they become murderous with the rest of the residents.)

*Back up fish I really want and could substitute from the above list if feasible*

- Australian Harlequin Tusk
- Marine Beta

Thanks in advance on sharing your experience!

IMG_20200422_200649365.jpg

Add the marine beta no matter what. They have such a slow metabolism and need very little food. I don't think they add hardly any bioload to your tank. Their fins regrow very quickly so not a big issue with nipping. Mine gets a chunk taken out every couple weeks but regrows within a couple days.

I also really like the idea of a dwarf lion. Definitely on my fish list for some point in the future.

I had a niger for about a month before removing. Just seemed like the fish was constantly suffering from roid rage or a crack addiction. Stressed the tangs into an inch outbreak. Everything was fine within days of removing that fish.

GeoSquid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, cant believe the maroons let the saddlebacks bully them around! Maroons are usually the most aggressive clown on the block, lol. I'm prepared for the Picasso to move stuff around and spit sand on everything...I had one in the past and they are such cool fish! Pretty much like a dog in a tank. Never had a Niger before so not sure on its behaviors yet.
Yes, triggers are the whole reason I switched from fresh to salt back in 1990! I forgot to mention the sand spitting trigger.....ha. I have to blow sand off everything every day. I don't know if I would put a picasso with a lion fish. I did it a long time ago but only for a short time and it was the big lion variety. The Maroon female was about 1.5" when I added the saddlebacks. The female saddleback was close to 5" and the male saddleback 3". I think the size difference made it possible. The saddleback have the whole tank while the maroons are stuck in a corner. We'll see how it goes as I've noticed the female maroon getting a bit more bold when food hits the tank. They don't seem to bother each other at all though. I would love to do a volitan lionfish reef tank. I've read they will eventually be the only fish in the tank as they can eat almost anything once they get big. The niger is such a beautiful fish and mine has pretty long streamers already. It's never bothered any corals but like I said, it does chase some of the other fish around but has yet to hurt anyone. My Hippo is close to ruling the tank over the niger.

OP
OP
SaltyDog67

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize he wanted leather corals. I thought he had an artificial insert.
No insert...just stacked live rock and dead coral over the top of some man made cave structures with a few artificial coral pieces. I've already transferred 2 of my leathers from my reef tank over to the predator tank, so the puffer isnt an option unfortunately...they are cool fish though, and thats the problem with this hobby...no matter what you set up, it's never big enough or you always need another one for a different species, lol.

OP
OP
SaltyDog67

SaltyDog67

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, triggers are the whole reason I switched from fresh to salt back in 1990! I forgot to mention the sand spitting trigger.....ha. I have to blow sand off everything every day. I don't know if I would put a picasso with a lion fish. I did it a long time ago but only for a short time and it was the big lion variety. The Maroon female was about 1.5" when I added the saddlebacks. The female saddleback was close to 5" and the male saddleback 3". I think the size difference made it possible. The saddleback have the whole tank while the maroons are stuck in a corner. We'll see how it goes as I've noticed the female maroon getting a bit more bold when food hits the tank. They don't seem to bother each other at all though. I would love to do a volitan lionfish reef tank. I've read they will eventually be the only fish in the tank as they can eat almost anything once they get big. The niger is such a beautiful fish and mine has pretty long streamers already. It's never bothered any corals but like I said, it does chase some of the other fish around but has yet to hurt anyone. My Hippo is close to ruling the tank over the niger.
No worries on the Lionfish as I dont think his fins would fare well with the Picaso, so he's out. The Picaso is non-negotiable and it will be his forever home once he splashes. I am reconsidering the Niger in place of a Marine Beta though due to potential size and bio load once everyone reaches maturity.

ApoIsland

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Panther grouper is another of my favorite fish that would go great in that tank. While they can eat an infinate amount of food if given the opportunity, they don't really require much and will grow extremely slow if you are responsible about limiting the feedings. You could easily get 5-10 years out of it in a 125.

Mine was an inch when I got him and took about a year before he was big enough to eat a couple fire fish. Took another couple years after that before he ate the anthia. When he was about 4-5 inches long he started sizing up my large royal gramma so I decided to sell. Was at least 3 great years though. Will definitely get another if the opportunity for a very small one arises.

I have had both tank bred and wild caught. I have only had one of each but in my case I found the wild caught was much more active. I returned the tank bred after a month as he mostly laid around until I came to the tank and he expected food.

Back