Preferred cycling method?

Tomb85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've noticed even after all the years of reefing different methods of cycling still exist. I've done 2 different methods on my 3 tanks I've had in the last 5yrs.

1, dry rock, dry sand and Doctor Tim's. This had a big nasty cycle lasted a while if I remember rightly but was 5yrs ago. I did the same on my second tank and it seemed to go through a few cycles.
2, This was my preffered method to date as the tank is 5 months old and still no ugly cycle and I've only had a few diatoms show up but didn't really notice them and gone within a week. Dry Rock, live sand and prawns in sump for 8 weeks. 4 weeks into cycle I added 2 more prawns to keep the cycle strong. I'm not in to adding to many chemicals to my tanks. My grandad use to have 6 marine aquariums when I was a kid so I know it can be done at ease with no added chemicals as his tanks always looked awesome.
What's everyone's proffered method and hopefully new comers will get some good advice or ideas from this thread.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I start with clean sand and dry rocks and take my time getting started.

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used wet live rock new sand. Used fishless method ie adding ammonia. Lights off Took 6 months to get into gear. Added fish at this point Almost a year to really get really established. It still changes I don't dose. The only thing that is introduced into tank is food. I am really confused as to where the beneficial ( so I understand ) bristle worms appeared from by the dozens. I like them because they keep my rock clean of algae. Also star fish climb all over glass. I like to see these things happen but would like to know how. So far have doged the bad critters

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Real live sand, real live rock; 1lb of each per gallon in the display, 1 week cycle, then add a bit more real live rock with the clean up crew, then a week later begin adding fish gradually.

This and true method for cycling is old school, it’s simple and it works! The stair step approach of building bacteria/microorganisms using quality real live sand & real live rock sets the foundation of a healthy and easier to maintain aquarium.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sand, live rock, water, run pump with no light for a month or until nitrites and ammonia are undetectable. then start stocking, I don’t add anything else

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If dry rock, then Bio-Spira

Ideally though, adding some amount of clean, mature live rock to skip the cycle all together.

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used wet live rock new sand. Used fishless method ie adding ammonia. Lights off Took 6 months to get into gear. Added fish at this point Almost a year to really get really established. It still changes I don't dose. The only thing that is introduced into tank is food. I am really confused as to where the beneficial ( so I understand ) bristle worms appeared from by the dozens. I like them because they keep my rock clean of algae. Also star fish climb all over glass. I like to see these things happen but would like to know how. So far have doged the bad critters
I would guess they came from the wet live rock

Imrahilwjz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done it both ways. Live rock or bottled bacteria. I liked the hitchhikers in the live rock, so I want to add some to my current system. I want to make sure I have my copper situation under control first though, my skimmer pump casing cracked and put copper and zinc in the water. The key in my opinion is going slow and not adding stock too fast.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.5%
Back