Prepare the QT! Clowns inbound

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is this overkill? Still live rock I cycled this thing with to prep the media. Removed 70% of the water replaced with tank water.

Should the rocks go when my snowflakes get here or stay? Bubble stone ok or replace with something less obnoxious ?

Ordered from divers den. Very excited.
60756C02-7D14-4186-ABC8-2444EF0B7EDB.jpeg
10 gallon. First time using it for QT or ever doing a QT

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and good luck!

Looks fine for a QT. Airstones can be fine but in general I always go with a small pump to ensure good flow and aeration, this becomes even more critical if you treat with any medications.

If you end up treating your fish you’ll have to discard the rocks. seeded seachem matrix is better choice in a QT.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and good luck!

Looks fine for a QT. Airstones can be fine but in general I always go with a small pump to ensure good flow and aeration, this becomes even more critical if you treat with any medications.

If you end up treating your fish you’ll have to discard the rocks. seeded seachem matrix is better choice in a QT.
The stone is hooked to a pump, I have some seeded seachem matrix in my dt , I didn’t think about that ! Ty

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current QT parem salinity 1.026 , nitrate high..clowns due in tues do a massive water change when they get here and monitor ? Planning to move over seeded seachem also. Is it risky for my to leave for the lake for 2 days with fish in first week of QT?

Thanks all
81C1BF5B-52DE-4032-BEF2-B82B287ECEB1.jpeg

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also. Will removing the live rock before adding them have a negative effect ? And if I don’t have a need for the rock in there elsewhere. Is there still a downside to leaving it in if I need to treat them?

mike werner

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great.just a reminder most dd fish come in water that's much lower than 1.026 I hear..probably more like 1.020 but I would call them and ask.this just makes it easier in the acclimation process.i'm qt'n some la fish starting Tuesday so i'll be doing the same this week.good luck with qt my friend.
the lake thing.that's a judgement call you'll have to make after others chime in here with more advise.are ya leaving this weekend?when are the fish being delivered?

Last edited:
OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks great.just a reminder most dd fish come in water that's much lower than 1.026 I hear..probably more like 1.020 but I would call them and ask.this just makes it easier in the acclimation process.i'm qt'n some la fish starting Tuesday so i'll be doing the same this week.good luck with qt my friend.
the lake thing.that's a judgement call you'll have to make after others chime in here with more advise.are ya leaving this weekend?when are the fish being delivered?
Fish come tues. I’d leave Friday and be back Sunday. I can lower the salinity easily.. I’ll test the water they come in. Thank you!

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would remove the LR if you have seeded biomedia.

Live rock can soak up medications if needed. The seeded matrix should provide enough bacteria to handle a couple clownfish.

As far as leaving when fish are in QT, do you have an auto feeder? Or someone that can check on them a couple times while you are gone? It is really a personal preference.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I would remove the LR if you have seeded biomedia.

Live rock can soak up medications if needed. The seeded matrix should provide enough bacteria to handle a couple clownfish.

As far as leaving when fish are in QT, do you have an auto feeder? Or someone that can check on them a couple times while you are gone? It is really a personal preference.
Yes to auto feeder. The only people I’d trust to that are going to the lake as well. Plan to return early Sunday. So will only be 1 day where fed without me there.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current QT parem salinity 1.026 , nitrate high..clowns due in tues do a massive water change when they get here and monitor ? Planning to move over seeded seachem also. Is it risky for my to leave for the lake for 2 days with fish in first week of QT?

Thanks all
81C1BF5B-52DE-4032-BEF2-B82B287ECEB1.jpeg

IME D.D. tends to ship in lower ppm. ~ 10.018 to 1.023 and if me, I'd keep a QT no higher than 1.023 and IMHO it is always a rick to leave new fishes alone albeit 2 days. Not saying they won't be fine. I just know the beauties your getting. :)

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME D.D. tends to ship in lower ppm. ~ 10.018 to 1.023 and if me, I'd keep a QT no higher than 1.023 and IMHO it is always a rick to leave new fishes alone albeit 2 days. Not saying they won't be fine. I just know the beauties your getting. :)
Nervous about it. But only summer weekend I’m able to go. I’ll take out a gallon and replace with RODI and see where I’m at.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salinity down to 1.022. Removed live rock. Filled up with RODI.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and good luck!

Unsure if I mentioned. But I did move some matrix after being in the maintank for a while. Sooooooo excited and sickly nervous for their arrival tomorrow. I read that they qt the clowns very specifically but who knows

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re here. Haven’t opened the box yet. Terrified. Doing a quick wc and retesting the QT as it warms up. (Adjusted heater. To 84 I guess? Waiting on it to come down)

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re here. Haven’t opened the box yet. Terrified. Doing a quick wc and retesting the QT as it warms up. (Adjusted heater. To 84 I guess? Waiting on it to come down)

Don't fear. Open the box partially allowing limited light in and gradually open over maybe 30 minutes, by the time you're done perhaps the temp will be down ~80 or so.

Please keep us updated.

OP
OP
NoWaiAma

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meant to say the heat went up to 84. Heater went psycho. It’s cooling down and then up currently. Rested their blacked out bags in QT water once it got back up to 77. Salinity 1.0023. This guy is having his spa day while that all adjusts
44B9A5EC-0BBC-4D01-960E-37A61C166AE0.jpeg

00Barracuda00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Meant to say the heat went up to 84. Heater went psycho. It’s cooling down and then up currently. Rested their blacked out bags in QT water once it got back up to 77. Salinity 1.0023. This guy is having his spa day while that all adjusts
44B9A5EC-0BBC-4D01-960E-37A61C166AE0.jpeg
Troll king, right here.

Changes QT tank -> New clowns come in -> Posts picture of dog.

Bravo

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 98 41.5%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 116 49.2%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 9 3.8%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 8 3.4%
Back