Preparing for a puppy

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the family has decided to get a new puppy. It has been 11 years since I have delt with puppy safety. Luckily my tanks were moved to basement so I will just keep that door shut for a while. I think I remember the basics like moving any harmful or treasured items out of puppy reach. Clear away any electric cords that can be chewed and never leave the new puppy alone with the other pets. Is there anything obvious that I am forgetting about puppies?

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's right I'm going to have to find those things that came with the crates to make them smaller for potty training purposes. Now my current dog is crate trained but we almost never lock him in there anymore unless the whole family will be gone all day. While training the puppy should we lock the older dog up at night again?

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Switch food over gradually from whatever puppy was being fed to new food you want to feed so it doesn't get an upset tummy. Keep away from other dogs you don't know until puppy is fully vaccinated. Also stay away from dog parks/other public areas until fully vaccinated as well. (Nobody wins when a puppy gets parvo).

~ Signed former vet tech. :)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take a fresh poop sample with you to the vet for puppy checkups, not having to have a poop sample taken will improve your pups opinion of the vet..
The fecal loop is not a trust builder..

erinmegan85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is tru
Take a fresh poop sample with you to the vet for puppy checkups, not having to have a poop sample taken will improve your pups opinion of the vet..
The fecal loop is not a trust builder..

This is so true! Just make sure it's a fresh sample, and it's not uncommon for puppies to have worms.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1fed2c1f2beb77889a3a7a606e88c0ad.jpg

Up to date on first set of shots and wormed. Have meds in case the worming/stress gives her the runs. Was told to use only if needed as we don't want to mask any more serious issues. Told to avoid dog parks and other areas of high dog traffic until she is older.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful puppy! Congratulations.:)

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So cute! I would still recommend a new puppy check, sooner than later, even dewormed pups can have protozoa parasites and things. Also good to have the doctor check over for any other health issues, listen to the heart etc.

Have fun with that new baby!

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shoes, shoes, hide the shoes lol Every puppy I ever had even when they leave everything else alone loves the insoles of shoes if not the shoe itself. Classic and costly to me years ago was a beagle who went through my mothers entire shoe collection in one sitting.

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calling the vet tomorrow for a puppy check! She is really small. Only 6 weeks. Got her from a local rescue. They were shocked to have a young husky litter.

Duke4Life

Just a crazy eel guy, LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've rescued both of my huskies, there's not a better dog. I'll only own huskies.

She is adorable!!!

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you take her to the vet, try to take her early in the morning and keep her off of the floor. Bad things lurking there for a puppy her age, and hopefully the office was sanitized the night before. Taking her in in the early morning helps reduce the chances that sick dogs where seen before her. She also needs lots of love, she is a beauty!!!

OP
OP
Naiad

Naiad

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They let you adopt a 6 week old dog? thats really bad practice!
Other than separating from mom at that early an age (I understand this is not good), which the rescue was not responsible for what other issues are there with adopting them? She is on a soft mush food diet for now.

Williard_Karen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separation anxiety can be an issue for your little girl there. Best way to know is to step outside and listen for howling or crying. If she does this leave a t.v or a radio on for her... And lots of chew toys for her if she decides to start the chewing stage early.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 181 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back