Pressure on False Claim Products

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Jack himself and see what he says, 570-486-4787

Usually when you email Brightwell it's Jack replying or calling you back :face-with-rolling-eyes:

But I also agree and thanks to Randy for setting me straight on Seachems pH crap and what it does to the system. Nothing like running the HRS in my house to keep the pH nice and stable.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This was my email response to Seachem/Aquavitro after their support response email:

Sorry, but that is a pitifully incorrect statement. Sad you believe such falsehoods.

Randy

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call Jack himself and see what he says, 570-486-4787

Usually when you email Brightwell it's Jack replying or calling you back :face-with-rolling-eyes:

But I also agree and thanks to Randy for setting me straight on Seachems pH crap and what it does to the system. Nothing like running the HRS in my house to keep the pH nice and stable.

Yes, if they don’t respond well, that can be a next step. I’ve been partially successful at getting them to change product descriptions in the past.

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This was my thought on it as well, but there is a person who posted trying to figure out why their alk was over 20DKH, come to find out they were using a product with the "raises PH doesn't add calcium or alk" description recomended to them by their LFS.

i don't want to contribute in any way to that anymore. I love the brightwell products I use, and if they have been made aware now for sure they have a product with this claim, thanks to rand's ticket, and don't correct it, I will have to stop buying their products.

It majorly bumbs me out that people have probably lost their livestock due to a product that is essentially tricking them.
I had this happen to me years ago. I had too much CO2 in the water and it was lowering my pH. I needed a way to raise it and the LFS sold me a seachem product (can’t recall name) and said raises pH without raising anything else. Tried half of what it recommended and tested alk. Went up 2 dkh. Lol. I just stopped using it. Never thought to read the whole label to see what it said about alk. Needless to say I didn’t go back to that lfs.

OP
OP
Randy Holmes-Farley

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Randy Holmes-Farley I was curious - that product that I posted about - with my discus - clearly did 'something' very quickly. The discus expert (world-wide) that I consulted about the symptoms suggested nitrite toxicity - and within a very short time (twice to my embarrassment) - the symptoms which were moribund fish - abated. Do you think that the sodium bisulfite (I think thats what it was that you quoted from the SDS) could have helped? On the product label it gives a dose for 'starting a tank' - the dose for detoxifying nitrite/nitrate/ammonia is (forgive me - either 5x or 10x the usual dose)?

Yes, as I mentioned in that thread, metabisulfite and similar molecules are known to react with nitrite, at least in fresh water.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ever since the prime issue a few years ago I’ve completely stopped believing anything Seachem claims about their products. Seems like nothing has changed
Most of the problems with the company response is that their response is 'chemistry true' - but in a tank - not completely true - not making a judgement on SEACHEM - I have no clue

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, as I mentioned in that thread, metabisulfite and similar molecules are known to react with nitrite, at least in fresh water.
The product is marketed for salt and fresh - thus my question

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don’t think you can ever stop a company from stating things like “accelerates coral growth” or “brightens colors”. Those have almost certainly been “tested” and under a particular set of conditions it probably did as it said. While this makes the statement true I don’t think it necessarily guarantees it will work in another tank with different conditions.

A_Blind_Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<iframe width="688" height="387" src="" title="I Love Lucy | Lucy&#39;s Vitameatavegimen Commercial (S1, E30) | Paramount+" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reefer Matt

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reevaluating the use of Seachem products myself. I had a bottle of their zooplankton and put some under the scope. It was just dead plankton bits. And not a lot of them. :rolleyes: I tried two different bottles. They never claim it to be alive or otherwise, so I guess it's technically correct?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems that unless every additive/supplement is independently analyzed, how are we to trust they provide even close to what they state?

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many rabbit trails to follow here. One strikes close to my heart--LEDs. The Chinese black box makers claim their boxes are so many watts, but when actually measured they are much lower than advertised.

For reference, watts equals volts times amps. A 3 watt LED that's supposed to operate at 3.2 volts needs 0.94 amps to consume 3 watts. When the seller underpowers them with 500 milliamp drivers they'll burn out if operated at 1 amp, those "3 watt" LEDs are forced to run at 1.5 watts.

I've found one BB Chinese LED labeled as 400 watts, but it only used 1.1 amps, meaning it was actually a 133 watt LED.

JayM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Seachem has stooped to a new low in misinformation and ignorance. Here is their response:

Support FD
(Seachem Laboratories)
Dec 6, 2023, 17:41 AST
Hello! Thank you for the email.

The hydroxide blend in Balance will bind up acid sources in the tank, thus raising the pH. It also interacts with the carbonate and converts it to bicarbonate. Ultimately, it does not raise alkalinity, but rather is re-organizing the balance of the existing buffers".

Best regards,
FD
I don't know jack about chemistry, and even I can smell the BS in that response.

It sounds kinda like saying "rubbing two sticks together doesn't make a fire, it just reorganizes the balance of the existing wood".

Nonya

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, Seachem has stooped to a new low in misinformation and ignorance. Here is their response:

Support FD
(Seachem Laboratories)
Dec 6, 2023, 17:41 AST
Hello! Thank you for the email.

The hydroxide blend in Balance will bind up acid sources in the tank, thus raising the pH. It also interacts with the carbonate and converts it to bicarbonate. Ultimately, it does not raise alkalinity, but rather is re-organizing the balance of the existing buffers".

Best regards,
FD
Is Seachem aware they responded to a chemist?

Malcontent

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm reevaluating the use of Seachem products myself. I had a bottle of their zooplankton and put some under the scope. It was just dead plankton bits. And not a lot of them. :rolleyes: I tried two different bottles. They never claim it to be alive or otherwise, so I guess it's technically correct?

Being technically correct isn't enough. The elements of deceptive advertising include analyzing both whether the statements were deceptive or had the potential to deceive the average consumer.

I don't trust Seachem at all. Their marketing claims are ridiculous and every time one of their products is subject to any sort of scientific test it fails.

Mellotang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about Fuel?
See lots of people swear by the aqua vitro fuel
I don't trust Seachem at all. Their marketing claims are ridiculous and every time one of their products is subject to any sort of scientific test it fails.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 49 28.8%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 37 21.8%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 18 10.6%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 59 34.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%

Back