Pro And Con to Diatom Filters

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All

I am in search for the pro effects and con effects to a mixed reef with a diatom filter used intermittently every month or so?

Thanks in advanced
Good link

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What size Hayward and what size tank is it running on? I have been thinking about installing one on a 650 gallon with a bypass so if wanted I could just run it intermittently.

If you go with the Hayward I would advise against running it intermittently without cleaning it between. Closed, pressurized filter with stagnant saltwater + organics would inevitably produce hydrogen sulfide.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at them and have a question. Did you go with the Hayward pump that you can get with it which I think flows 40 GPM or did you do a more common marine hobbyist pump?
If you go with the Hayward I would advise against running it intermittently without cleaning it between. Closed, pressurized filter with stagnant saltwater + organics would inevitably produce hydrogen sulfide.

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice. I have been looking at them and have a question. Did you go with the Hayward pump that you can get with it which I think flows 40 GPM or did you do a more common marine hobbyist pump?

I ended up with this:

4200GPH Submersible Frequency Water Pump Aquarium Fish Pond Hydroponics

works great and completely silent. Very good head pressure. The pump is placed in the tank as this is a temporary solution, Hayward pumps are external which is good but very loud. You can get pretty decent external pond pumps on Amazon that will do the job.

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use one also. I cannot say enough good things about them. I have used them to eliminate ich to good effect. I have used them in place of carbon. I run it anytime the tank looks stressed or if I add new coral or livestock. I have a three YO hippo tang who gets ich at the drop of the hat and he is healthy and striving. They work. IMO no reefer should not have one in the closet. There are a lot of people who call BS on these filters but I like things that work as advertised. These do.

Feet4Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you run yours full time? White size tank and what filter are you running?
I use one also. I cannot say enough good things about them. I have used them to eliminate ich to good effect. I have used them in place of carbon. I run it anytime the tank looks stressed or if I add new coral or livestock. I have a three YO hippo tang who gets ich at the drop of the hat and he is healthy and striving. They work. IMO no reefer should not have one in the closet. There are a lot of people who call crap on these filters but I like things that work as advertised. These do.

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot imagine NOT having a diatom filter for those big cleaning jobs. I recently had to buy another Vortex XL after the last one, purchased around 1990, stopped running. I figure I got my moneys worth out of it! I use it maybe 3 times a year, or if there is a problem and I inadvertently stir up a bunch of gunk. Does it clog up? YES!!! That's what it's supposed to do. Is it a bit of a pain to get properly charged and running? Yes, at least until you get the hang of it. It will clear up my 120DT in a couple hours.

When I'm done, I clean it well, allow it to dry, and put it back in it's box ready to go for the next time.

I would not use it as a continuous mechanical filter - not only will it end up removing the good stuff too, the pump itself gets very hot (although it will not transfer any appreciable amount of heat to your system).

As for any possible downsides to occasional use? None that I am aware of.

Corey - you can get diatomaceous earth (diatom powder) at Leslie's Pool Supply up at Bethel and Kenny. It is way cheaper than from any of the online aquarium vendors. As for using it on your tank - a XL will work just fine, although you'll probably have to clean it out a couple times to get all the gunk out of your tank.

HTH!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul B uses it as part of his maintenance on his tank. I don't recall how often he uses it, maybe he'll chime in.

I use mine a few times a year for power washing the pores in the rock or stirring up my gravel over the reverse UG filter.

I also use it if for instance the urchins spawn (which is messy) or I get a cycle of cyano and I want to clean it off the rocks.
I use it when I collect NSW because I collect it from the shore by throwing a pump into the surf and the water is full of chopped up seaweed, sand, pieces of amphipods and bikini tops.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many times. :p

Before there was a bridge at the end of William Floyt Pkwy, we had a summer house there and used to row there all the time.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 44 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 158 73.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back