Pro Clear Aquatic Sump?

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to drill an overflow into my sump at a high point so when the power goes out, the water will overflow down to my sink in the basement. If anyone is familiar with the pro clear sump line, are they drillable? They are made out of acrylic. Thank you.

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing about a pro clear sump but acrylic is drillable. The best solution would be design your system so an overflow is not possible with just a power outage.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know nothing about a pro clear sump but acrylic is drillable. The best solution would be design your system so an overflow is not possible with just a power outage.
I'd like to have the sump almost full to maximize turnover.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is when the power comes back on your pump will run dry......That is if over flowing is a issue during power out. You may either have to much water in your sump or a poorly designed sump... Increasing the amount of water inside the sump itself does not increase your tank to sump turn over rate...

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue is when the power comes back on your pump will run dry......That is if over flowing is a issue during power out. You may either have to much water in your sump or a poorly designed sump... Increasing the amount of water inside the sump itself does not increase your tank to sump turn over rate...
The water level will be way above the return when the power turns back on? Also increasing flow to the sump increases overall turnover...

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your sump overflows you're going to lose saltwater, if you have an ATO you're adding freshwater. So after a power outage if the ATO refills what you lost your salinity will take a hit.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When your sump overflows you're going to lose saltwater, if you have an ATO you're adding freshwater. So after a power outage if the ATO refills what you lost your salinity will take a hit.
Well no, because the ATO is lower than the level it will overflow at. It will only overflow once it gets to the very top of the sump.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to have the sump almost full to maximize turnover.

The water level inside the sump itself as mentioned above has absolutely no bearing on turnover atall.

The water level will be way above the return when the power turns back on? Also increasing flow to the sump increases overall turnover...

Increasing flow definitely increases turnover but this strictly relates to your pump selection and size of your drain plumbing. Increasing the volume inside the sump will not increase your turnover...

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well no, because the ATO is lower than the level it will overflow at. It will only overflow once it gets to the very top of the sump.

What he is saying is that once the return pump is turned back on what ever water flowed out and down the drain will be replaced by your ATO which is fresh RODI. This will start to seriously mess with your salinity. Your ATO is designed to keep that water at a consistant level when the pump is running. When you shut the pump off and some water drains out of the system, when the pump is turned back on this drop in volume will be picked up by the ATO sensor and it will replace what was drained out with freshwater. Hense slowly lowering your salinity.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hm okay, so I just need a stronger pump to keep the water level lower in my sump now then.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What amount of turnover are you looking for? How big is your system? And what pump do you currently have on it?

The water height in your sump is also not dictated by the power of your pump, its something you set up when you fill the system and can be controlled with baffles as well.

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What amount of turnover are you looking for? How big is your system? And what pump do you currently have on it?

The water height in your sump is also not dictated by the power of your pump, its something you set up when you fill the system and can be controlled with baffles as well.
As high turnover as possible. 220 gallon DT 40 gallon sump. Jebao DCP 13000 return pump. Rated for 3645 gph max.

Reefnoobz90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And why do you need such high turn over? Are you able to filter water that quickly? It just seems like a huge waste of power

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And why do you need such high turn over? Are you able to filter water that quickly? It just seems like a huge waste of power
Filter socks filled with purigen, phosguard, matrix etc. The more turnover the better filtration.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filter socks filled with purigen, phosguard, matrix etc. The more turnover the better filtration.

Not true atall, turnover has been trending downwards quite significantly in the past few years. Even so low as to creep in the 3x range as being the most suggested. Right now you're sitting at around 10x flow (Assuming you're running it at 100%) which is on the higher end of things. Nothing overtly wrong with it but some might consider it overkill. Which pro clear sump do you have? And do you have a skimmer as well?

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true atall, turnover has been trending downwards quite significantly in the past few years. Even so low as to creep in the 3x range as being the most suggested. Right now you're sitting at around 10x flow (Assuming you're running it at 100%) which is on the higher end of things. Nothing overtly wrong with it but some might consider it overkill. Which pro clear sump do you have? And do you have a skimmer as well?
Pro clear freedom 300 (37 gallons to be exact I think) and a bubble magus curve 9. I need high filtration because I have sharks.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pro clear freedom 300 (37 gallons to be exact I think) and a bubble magus curve 9. I need high filtration because I have sharks.
Sharks need high flow thru the Display tank. Not turn over thru the sump.. You can do this with Wave maker power heads . All the other advice above is SPOT ON..

I Do not think you have a grasp on how Water flow works in a Aquarium / sump setup.. I suggest Googling Aquarium Sump/ flow concepts to get a better understanding..

Thanks for Reading and Happy Reefing... OHH Please let the sharks go...

OP
OP
K

Kasey Grohowski

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sharks need high flow thru the Display tank. Not turn over thru the sump.. You can do this with Wave maker power heads . All the other advice above is SPOT ON..

I Do not think you have a grasp on how Water flow works in a Aquarium / sump setup.. I suggest Googling Aquarium Sump/ flow concepts to get a better understanding..

Thanks for Reading and Happy Reefing... OHH Please let the sharks go...
Sharks actually don't like high flow tanks, unlike bony fish.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 77 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.7%
Back