Problems with new Nero 5 pumps

lvsuckerfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The issue isn't the front of the pump, I have mine set at 25%-50% low variance and my clowns get blown across the tank also and it is fun to watch. :)
The problem lies in the back and the size of the openings there where a small fish can get sucked in! My blenny loved to swim along the glass and I have no doubt that is what happened. :(

I understand the front of the Powerhead is not the issue. I get how Power heads work!

What I am saying is that My fish swim by it all the time front back sides I personally Never had the same issue you had by the looks of the photo. My clowns look to be smaller roughly a inch and a half. But that is neither here nor there. I just wonder with the flow in the tank did it get blown around then sucked up? My Bubble tip did and that's how it disappeared in less than 24 hrs I was ticked at myself for that one. I do not know if you said you watched it get sucked up or noticed it missing from the tank.

It sucks to lose anything in this hobby as it cost good money!

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand the front of the Powerhead is not the issue. I get how Power heads work!

What I am saying is that My fish swim by it all the time front back sides I personally Never had the same issue you had by the looks of the photo. My clowns look to be smaller roughly a inch and a half. But that is neither here nor there. I just wonder with the flow in the tank did it get blown around then sucked up? My Bubble tip did and that's how it disappeared in less than 24 hrs I was ****** at myself for that one. I do not know if you said you watched it get sucked up or noticed it missing from the tank.

It sucks to lose anything in this hobby as it cost good money!

I didn’t see the blenny get sucked up but it liked to swim along the glass and most likely was too close to the Nero 5. By the way, I wrote to Ai and basically they didn’t acknowledge there was a design flaw and in a polite way told me to kiss off. :mad:

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for losing ur blenny. I have a tank bred forktail blenny in qt 4 another month b4 adding to dt. I was the one who started this thread months ago & still have the nero 5's but finally had it moving around and occasionally falling off . I just ordered 2 Maxspect xf330's w/controller. I've seen them up close at lfs & are much quieter than the 200 models, less parts and easier to clean. *FWIW I know someone whose brother works at Ecotech which owns AI & he told me AI has no plans to fix magnet problem and open back holes bc they are selling like hotcakes especially since they lowered the price from $299 to $249 - and u have the cheerleaders out there, BRS, Marine Depot, Reefbreeders talking about all the pros but none of the cons! When they get complaints- and they do - they file them, u know where LOL. But it's sad. Maybe when next gen is introduced (2020?) they will address the issues. NOT!!!

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for losing ur blenny. I have a tank bred forktail blenny in qt 4 another month b4 adding to dt. I was the one who started this thread months ago & still have the nero 5's but finally had it moving around and occasionally falling off . I just ordered 2 Maxspect xf330's w/controller. I've seen them up close at lfs & are much quieter than the 200 models, less parts and easier to clean. *FWIW I know someone whose brother works at Ecotech which owns AI & he told me AI has no plans to fix magnet problem and open back holes bc they are selling like hotcakes especially since they lowered the price from $299 to $249 - and u have the cheerleaders out there, BRS, Marine Depot, Reefbreeders talking about all the pros but none of the cons! When they get complaints- and they do - they file them, u know where LOL. But it's sad. Maybe when next gen is introduced (2020?) they will address the issues. NOT!!!

It is a shame that they don’t have the common sense and decency to do the right thing. :(

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to CAPITALISM ! As long as the sales & profits keep going up why make any changes?

OP
OP
Johnny M

Johnny M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to CAPITALISM ! As long as the sales & profits keep going up why make any changes?

KaleighMaeW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On the plus side I love my new pluse 2. So much infact I ordered a second one and a VDM module for my Apex. I will have them set up on a custom schedule. Best change of plans ever.

Are the pulse 2 WiFi controllable?

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the pulse 2 WiFi controllable?

They have their own controller that is not wifi. Or you can connect them to Apex then they are wifi controlled. I'm very happy with these pumps, best decision I made.

Trueblue17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also ive seen a couple posts now of blennys living inside of pumps , or going in them when people do water changes , so he could have possibly just swam into it thinking its a hiding spot ,but they do have a really strong suction forsure , compared to other pumps , my fish are bigger mostly ,but my filefish likes playing in the flow of my nero 5 and I do see him start to get sucked towards it , but he powers out of it and does it again lol , hope he doesn't get too close though hes one my favourite fish.

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also ive seen a couple posts now of blennys living inside of pumps , or going in them when people do water changes , so he could have possibly just swam into it thinking its a hiding spot ,but they do have a really strong suction forsure , compared to other pumps , my fish are bigger mostly ,but my filefish likes playing in the flow of my nero 5 and I do see him start to get sucked towards it , but he powers out of it and does it again lol , hope he doesn't get too close though hes one my favourite fish.

The bottom line is that if the rear openings were smaller the Blenny never would have been sucked it. It is a faulty design that Ai won’t do anything about to correct.

JRinLR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wish I had read this thread before purchasing my Nero 5. I have 2 of them. Came home this evening...and found my coral beauty angelfish stuck in the back of the pump with it’s tail ripped off. Was swimming and healthy when I left for work this morning. So discouraging. I worried about the back being so open, but I had read pretty good reviews of it. Sorry to read of the other losses here too! :(

Westside Guy

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I wish I had read this thread before purchasing my Nero 5. I have 2 of them. Came home this evening...and found my coral beauty angelfish stuck in the back of the pump with it’s tail ripped off. Was swimming and healthy when I left for work this morning. So discouraging. I worried about the back being so open, but I had read pretty good reviews of it. Sorry to read of the other losses here too! :(

Sorry to hear about your loss, having experienced it I know how you feel. It is bad enough to lose a sick fish to an illness but it is inexcusable to lose a perfectly healthy fish due to the indifference and negligence of a manufacturer that refuses to correct a design flaw in their product! :mad:

Last edited:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 3 D printed cover for my MP 10 I wonder if it would fit on your Hero pumps. I purchased it at Marine Depot a little pricey., 31 bucks.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a 3 D printed cover for my MP 10 I wonder if it would fit on your Hero pumps. I purchased it at Marine Depot a little pricey., 31 bucks.

I do wonder if this issue has been brought up in the 3D Printing thread at all, I know a few who would not hesitate to whip a design up if it was possible. @TheHarold ??

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do wonder if this issue has been brought up in the 3D Printing thread at all, I know a few who would not hesitate to whip a design up if it was possible. @TheHarold ??

Yeah I could get one made pretty quickly if someone sent me a Nero to model with. Wouldn’t be that expensive either

bigcheese

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at printing a cover for mine, but decided on an alternate route when I realized my 3D CAD program sucked due to operator headspace and timing...
I used 100lb test monofilament and weaved it through the intake side, creating an "X" across each hole. A dab of superglue at the center of each X and it has worked really well so far. No extra noise, no noticeable flow reduction. A bit more of a pain to clean, though.
I'll post pics after this weekend's cleaning.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I could get one made pretty quickly if someone sent me a Nero to model with. Wouldn’t be that expensive either

Give me a couple months and I might take you up on that:)

Jansen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems to me the problem has nothing to do with glass thickness if the pump is falling off the inside magnet - unless the ‘holding’ force comes from the external side (which seems unlikely)?
Yeah that's what I thought, I have four of these with nearly 1/2 inch thick glass and never had this problem, the concave side that is on the pump is meant to "float" so that small changes can be made to the flow.

I clean around these pumps with an algae scraper all the time and yes they fall off if bumped hard, but it takes some effort, and I have first generation pumps, I have noticed that if you pull the cords too taught it can cause the pumps to not stay on, but that's due to tension in the cord, not the magnet, and again this takes an overly taught cord.

Personally I love my Neros.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 23.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back