Pros vs Cons: Apex AquaController vs ReefKeeper Elite Controller

thadscottmoore

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which one of these controller do you currently use? RKE

2. Why did you choose your particular controller? originally chose a RKL because Marine Depot was running a special. After receiving it, I heard about the upgrade program and did just that. Reason for the upgrade- I wanted to run both of my tanks off the same controller- RKE lets me do that. I have the remote display controller on my second tank.

3. What do you think are the pros (good) of your controller? able to run a vast amount of equipment, easy to program, I had good customer service with no problems- they shipped the upgrade fast!

4. What do you think are the cons (bad) of your controller? Cost! of course any controller at this level is costly. having to buy a net module sucks! wish it was net ready.

5. If you could change something what would it be? make it net ready! trim the cost some!

ryeguyy84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which one of these controller do you currently use? Apex jr.

2. Why did you choose your particular controller? I originally had a RKL but after 6 months one of the PC4's went and Digital aquatics would not warranty because it was water damage. I don't think it was water but that's not for here. So I bought an apex

3. What do you think are the pros (good) of your controller? Not having a display. Sounds strange but I don't need more stuff under my tank. I also like being able to check in while away without having to buy a net module.

Lastly it seems like there's so much more you can do with the apex, for one it controls my vortech pump.

4. What do you think are the cons (bad) of your controller?
Setup is a little rough, but once you figure it out its great

5. If you could change something what would it be?
Setup, I learned a lot about networks.

kron

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Which one of these controller do you currently use? Apex

2. Why did you choose your particular controller? Programability options for LEDs and other outlets.

3. What do you think are the pros (good) of your controller? Programming style outlet controls, I love being able to setup multiple options for each outlet. But, it doesn't go far enough because I want to add IF and CASE statements to each outlet. Currently, it only reads from top down and you have to order the code to accommodate this deficiency. The display module is nice but honestly it's worthless, your phone is the display unit.

4. What do you think are the cons (bad) of your controller? The android app, neptune needs to release a full blown OFFICIAL app for android (and iphone I'd bet). They do give you control options from the browser but on my galaxy s2 and nexus 7 they both display 403 forbidden errors. I haven't looked in to this much but it's a minor annoyance.

5. If you could change something what would it be? The firmware, I'd love to be able to make changes to the LED options. Instead of using profiles and linking those to outlets I wanted to add a slider option for outlets to allow for easily changing the dimming setting.

nhago

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in the market for a controller.. interested in learning more about them! Subscribing to this thread for reference!

Soehl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use either but I am looking to purchase one of them. By the sounds of this thread I think I will do with the DA just because it is easy to use.

I thought I would just throw this out for people interested:

1. Which one of these controller do you currently use? Reef Angel

2. Why did you choose your particular controller? Expandability and range. Man, this thing can do anything!!!

3. What do you think are the pros (good) of your controller? Tons of modules and expansions. Plus you can code in just about anything.

4. What do you think are the cons (bad) of your controller? For some all the coding is great. For me, the average non coding reefer, it is a nightmare. I get so frustrated having all this sweet equipment that I can't get to work. If I could code I would love it but I can't...

5. If you could change something what would it be? Plug and play.... I would love to have it easy to use for me. I want to be able to plug in an upgrade and see it on the screen.

Mike2112

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordering an Apex Jr. Out of stock atm with a month back order. I cannot locate an adroid app either. Went looking for Aquatones on Google Play store and it only listed a music album.

fener103

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently run an RKE, I started with the RKL and used the trade in program.

PROS: Once you learn your way around the screens it is no problem. Have not had any issues in the three years it has been running.

CONS: Initial setup and firmware updates especially if you have never had a controller is challenging to say the least.

I control my lights, wavemaker, fans, heaters, dosers with mine. I have my top off on a Tunze Osmolator

vbsaltydog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone heard of this controller? ProfiLux at GHL North America | | GHL North America ?

I would judge the quality of these units on resale metrics. If you look in the resale market (here, reef central, etc.) there are tons of Reefkeepers and Apex' for sale but you hardly ever see a Reef Angel or Profilux for sale. This is partly because of market share, more units sold equals more being resold, but this is not the reason why people are so willing to part with their Reefkeepers and Apex' but owners of the Reef Angels and Profilux' tend to keep them.

Singlefin

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following. Will be using some brand of controller in the future. Thanks.

saltydawg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just found the Apex app for android in the google play store under Apex controller. It is a beta version.

Squishie89

Glub Glub
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking into changing controllers, would love to hear some more input on these controllers! (Hope it is alright I bumped this)

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Apex because i won it from Cherry Corals at their last live sale. I am not a computer geek so i called Neptune Systems and they set it up for me and i love it. What great customer support.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back