Protein skimmer carbon reaction chamber

Teaman89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local reef store suggested I run a carbon reactor on my protein skimmer. (I have a bubble Maximus) Like a air carbon canister to my air intake to my skimmer to help put clean oxygen into the tank. Is anyone else doing this. I just never heard about it before. Ideas thoughts opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks fellow reefers.

5B55C1B7-9FBC-46D5-80C8-E2E21894617E.jpeg

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My local reef store suggested I run a carbon reactor on my protein skimmer. (I have a bubble Maximus) Like a air carbon canister to my air intake to my skimmer to help put clean oxygen into the tank. Is anyone else doing this. I just never heard about it before. Ideas thoughts opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks fellow reefers.

5B55C1B7-9FBC-46D5-80C8-E2E21894617E.jpeg
Hmmm, that one I don't do. You live in a dirty city?
Edit, air and what's in it will always make it to the tank water. The skimmer is suppose to take out stuff.

OP
OP
Teaman89

Teaman89

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, that one I don't do. You live in a dirty city?
Edit, air and what's in it will always make it to the tank water. The skimmer is suppose to take out stuff.
It’s in our front room so he is saying our carbon monoxide from us breath is messing with one of my Parameters. Says it will just help purify the air being used in the skimmer

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he meant carbon dioxide. Monoxide is highly toxic and asphyxiates people. That said, I dont think activated carbon works like that. A Co2 scrubber would though, if that is a concern you could look into one of those. That will help raise your ph. Or you could venilate your house.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently saw a test done by Ryan of BRS who showed that he could raise ph in his tank by creating a loop in his skimmer intake pulling air from itself instead of from the room......if your ph is 7.5, you could have too much C02 in the room.....a loop could help. See if you can find his post on it.

Miami Reef

10K Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ph of 7.5 will slowly dissolve coral skeletons. I’m skeptical that a reef ph would be that low.

I would first calibrate with proper ph solutions, then if it’s still low I’d look at a CO2 scrubber as one of the solutions to low ph (although there may be cheaper/more effective methods depending on why the PH is that low).

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 18 16.1%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 77 68.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.5%
Back