Protein skimmer drain

Snoop_90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My protein skimmer has a small drain tube, but I'm thinking of connecting a 20 ft tubing to have it drain automatically. Going to be using the new tubing, connector and clamps. Has anyone does this before? and have you had any issues? I figured at most it might leak.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do it. The flow through that drain is going to be so slow that it’ll allow the skimmate to dry out in the drain line and eventually clog it completely. You’ll end up with essentially an open sewer and a giant mess to clean up later.

OP
OP
S

Snoop_90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't heard of anyone doing that. I don't see why it wouldn't work. Why are you wanting to setup it up that way?

It's a 250 gallon tank and I dose with NOPOX. I've had it over flow on me twice before. But that was because my ato went crazy and dumped all 5 gallons into the tank.

I figured if I had it being drained out itself one less thing to worry about. Saves the need of emptying it out everyday or 2.

OP
OP
S

Snoop_90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t do it. The flow through that drain is going to be so slow that it’ll allow the skimmate to dry out in the drain line and eventually clog it completely. You’ll end up with essentially an open sewer and a giant mess to clean up later.

That part I didn't consider. Thanks

U

User1

View Badges
There is actually more to consider if I understand what you want to do. Having the skimmer cup drain into a drain is a bad idea in case something causes the skimmer to go nuts. By nuts I mean skim wet, over skim, over foam, or anything else similar. You could end up draining many gallons of water which in turn will cause ATO to trigger filling more. Salinity will change risk 1. Risk 2 is that your ato is out, skimmer continues, and now sump is lower and now you have a loss of water causing pump failures. If not that then temperature changes.

Set up a larger container, add a float switch, and have it turn off when triggered. I would never recommend draining a skimmer cup into a drain. Ever. Just like I would never recommend using dry rock :)

OP
OP
S

Snoop_90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is actually more to consider if I understand what you want to do. Having the skimmer cup drain into a drain is a bad idea in case something causes the skimmer to go nuts. By nuts I mean skim wet, over skim, over foam, or anything else similar. You could end up draining many gallons of water which in turn will cause ATO to trigger filling more. Salinity will change risk 1. Risk 2 is that your ato is out, skimmer continues, and now sump is lower and now you have a loss of water causing pump failures. If not that then temperature changes.

Set up a larger container, add a float switch, and have it turn off when triggered. I would never recommend draining a skimmer cup into a drain. Ever. Just like I would never recommend using dry rock :)

I've had my skimmer go nuts before which was one reason why I was considering it. ATO is 5 gallons so yes it adding more water or using it all up can be another complication. Was actually discussing those two not to long ago with my dad.

How do you set up float switches?

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed! You want the skimmer ‘constrained’ so that should anything go wrong it shuts off rather than diluting the tank.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overflow is the main reason I will always go with a internal skimmer. If (when) it does overlfow, as all skimmers do periodically, the worst it can do is return skimmate to the system. Having lived through a overflowing external skimmer (through the carpet and into the finished basement below), I'll never make that mistake again. At least I was single at the time. I cannot imagine what my wife would think........

U

User1

View Badges
Overflow is the main reason I will always go with a internal skimmer. If (when) it does overlfow, as all skimmers do periodically, the worst it can do is return skimmate to the system. Having lived through a overflowing external skimmer (through the carpet and into the finished basement below), I'll never make that mistake again. At least I was single at the time. I cannot imagine what my wife would think........

That is how I run it also. It is a nice safety net to have and will not harm the tank at all. In fact with mine I can notice it right away since I can see a lot of micro bubbles :). Says to me, hey dummy - look here :D

OP
OP
S

Snoop_90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I've used an external one before. Luckily I caught it before it over flowed and then had placed a giant plastic container under it, since my stand had some space on the back. That one overflowed on me once but the container saved it.
My internal over flowed twice yes most of the skimmate did go back into the tank but a lot of also went all over inside my stand. That was a pain to clean up.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I use smimmate locker to alleviate that

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back