Protein skimmer working properly?

Crass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Need help as this is my first skimmer. Does this seem to be a good height for the bubbles in the return chamber? Too high?

When I raise it up, I seem to get large bubbles rising instead of micro bubbles

Attachments

• 20200831_205456.mp4
    33.8 MB

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, looks about right. You just want the top of the bubbles to slowly roll over the side fo the cup. Not too much or you're emptying the cup constantly and not too little and not skimming anything. As you skimmer gets broken in, it will create a larger head (bubbles) and more efficiently skim. The color will get a lot darker and it will take more waste and less water.

I'm emptying my skimmers about once every week(ish) but that can vary with different people and skimmers depending on how tuned in you want it.

JumboShrimp

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would call that skimming "wet." What you will be emptying out of the cup (and more often than if you skim drier), will be rather clear. Personally I would lower the bubble level and let the 'green gunk' accumulate and get pushed up into the cup; you will empty it less often, and it will have more dense (and greener) output.

Dr. Dendrostein

Marine fish monthly
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone! Need help as this is my first skimmer. Does this seem to be a good height for the bubbles in the return chamber? Too high?

When I raise it up, I seem to get large bubbles rising instead of micro bubbles
Skimmers are like automobiles, they are all design different. What brand are you using

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 6 13.0%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 28 60.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.5%
Back