Pseudo kreisel conversion and point loading

425nm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking at possibly converting 55 gallon (45.6cm W x 91.5cm L x 51.6cm T with 1.2cm glass) tank from your standard glass box to a pseudo kreisel for keeping jellies via the use of curved acrylic baffles and a spray bar. While purchasing or building a proper psuedo-kreisel is undoubtedly the better option I am looking at this first.

My primary question is will siliconing curved baffles into the corners of the aquarium create any significant point loading on the actual glass box itself? Could this eventually cause seal to blow?

Breadman03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic expands to some degree as it absorbs moisture, and can crack glass which doesn't swell. It also doesn't bond to glass properly for a watertight seal. That might not be an issue assuming the 55 will be full of water and the baffles wouldn't be structural so much as something to direct water flow.

OP
OP
425nm

425nm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acrylic expands to some degree as it absorbs moisture, and can crack glass which doesn't swell. It also doesn't bond to glass properly for a watertight seal. That might not be an issue assuming the 55 will be full of water and the baffles wouldn't be structural so much as something to direct water flow.

I had forgotten about the expansion part. Is there a way to guage how much it will expand? Is a certain amount of space left when siliconing in acrylic overflows or sump baffles?

They are intended purely for directing water flow. Usually when I see this done water is allowed to infiltrate behind the baffles. I am unclear on how that works from a cleaning perspective as detritus could then accumulate behind the baffles. I suppose if you can't create a water tight bind between glass and acrylic I don't have another option.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 63 77.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.9%
Back