Pump layout questions

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too sure if this should be in equipment or not so feel free to move. Anyways, so I've been pretty disappointed with my flow, now that I made a sketch showing the flow I can easily see why. The red circle is a standard wave pump that wasn't in when this photo was taken.
20240303_134328.jpg

It's rough but shows my issue here. The reefwave flow was taken from their diagrams, of course all of these streams minus the two middle returns are on various wave intervals, I run random with highest being max. My first thought is definitely moving that regular pump that's pointing up, also should I move the reefwaves? I feel like the left side is doing nothing.
I'm also considering getting another gyro pump.

Screenshot_20240303_134039_Drive.jpg

I was thinking of one maybe two doing the configuration of figure 3 but angled to flow into the middle. Figure 4 shows going into the middle but my current pumps are in the way.

I'm highly considering setting the two I have now up in the configuration of figure 4.
Any advice?

The_Paradox

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure 3 is closest to the starting point I use. You really have to see what works in your tank though as rock work plays a big role in current. Bouncing off the glass has a big effect so don’t right that off.

OP
OP
Bryce M.

Bryce M.

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Figure 3 is closest to the starting point I use. You really have to see what works in your tank though as rock work plays a big role in current. Bouncing off the glass has a big effect so don’t right that off.
Thank you! I'm going to play around with the config on figure three tonight. My tank being longer than the cube shown I might have to move the a little closer to the middle. Though I absolutely will try it close to the glass and try bouncing, seems like that might be a key aspect I'm missing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back