Purigen vs. Carbon

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a question regarding the value of purigen vs. carbon. Been reading a lot on another forum about how purigen doesn't remove the trace elements that carbon does and can be used for a much longer time period, but still binds and removes the organic wastes. Anybody using purigen have any thoughts or comments?

NanoNano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Purigen and Chemi-Pure Elite but can't really say exactly how well either works. My water looks good and (knock on wood) I've never had really bad algae problems, nitrate problems, or a crash.

OP
OP
Wy Renegade

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Know this is old, but revisiting the issue, so bringing it up again. Anybody have results, good or bad to report on the use of purigen?

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use it, but never noticed any difference while using both carbon and GFO.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it off and on over the years . It exhausted quickly for me . The change of color helps . I like that you could recharge the stuff . Carbon , gfo and vodka works for me so I don't really use it anymore .

MBG75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used purigen and it work great.

Great for removing organics and polishing water.

More cost effective for smaller tanks. Might be too expensive to run on a large system.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Akwarius

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never been convinced that it's as effective as carbon. A side by side test similar to the video on the BRS site would be easy to perform, and perhaps put the guesswork of this product to rest.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think purigen does an awsum job. I have seen it shut down a skimmer and is really good to use on a skimmerless tank. Poly-filters to me are still better than purigen and carbon for polishing the water and removing harmfull polutants.

Dave Polzin

Back