OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I’ve been offline since this morning.

Those are most likely isopods, but could be copepods…I’d need to see one under a microscope to tell.

They clearly have eyes, so I’d say isopods.
I have NEVER seen that many on one fish before, never more than half a dozen on one fish.

Some of these isopods are not true parasites, more like micropredators.

I’m not sure the fish can survive the massive damage these must have caused, but FW or formalin dips would knock them back.

Jay
First thank you so much for the help no need to apologize. I treated the QT tank with paraguard before the first FW dip and just did a second FW dip a day later but nothing came out this time. If I get another one I can try to get a shot with the real camera but probably not.

Yeah, there was an unbelievable amount. They were there seemingly for 3+ months. This fish must be 6+ months removed from the wild. Looking back on photos from November the bulge is less pronounced and I guess with gradual progression I never realized something was off until I happened to be looking at healthy firefish.

Do you think these could have reproduced and spread in captivity to my other fish? That is a main concern at the moment.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! Like something out of a movie.
Yes I feel so bad for the fish, and also wish I dipped in a more clear container to have better video of what happened but I was NOT expecting that to happen. Wasn’t even going to record it.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First thank you so much for the help no need to apologize. I treated the QT tank with paraguard before the first FW dip and just did a second FW dip a day later but nothing came out this time. If I get another one I can try to get a shot with the real camera but probably not.

Yeah, there was an unbelievable amount. They were there seemingly for 3+ months. This fish must be 6+ months removed from the wild. Looking back on photos from November the bulge is less pronounced and I guess with gradual progression I never realized something was off until I happened to be looking at healthy firefish.

Do you think these could have reproduced and spread in captivity to my other fish? That is a main concern at the moment.
Yes - some isopods have been known to become free living in tanks and can become pests. You can try baiting them in a mesh net with a bit of fish flesh or krill inside. Check it before lights come on in the morning to see if you see any isopods in the mesh.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes - some copepods have been known to become free living in tanks and can become pests. You can try baiting them in a mesh net with a bit of fish flesh or krill inside. Check it before lights come on in the morning to see if you see any isopods in the mesh.
Is it likely? Also copepods or isopods? In the morning I’ve seen either copepods or something similar on the glass but this has been since I seeded pods into the tank multiple times so not sure how I would know what the difference looks like.

Also, none of my fish show any signs of swollen gills or anything and they have all been together for a few months now. The last addition was late November. Clownfish, clown goby, rainford goby. I could probably catch them all easier than I caught the firefish to do a FW dip but they show no signs of anything, so I was thinking to not do that because it could cause stress and lead to other issues?

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every speck you see in this 32oz deli cup was one that came out of the gill of the fish. Maybe this angle could help ID based on the body outline

Attachments

• IMG_3403.jpeg
    IMG_3403.jpeg
    118.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_3404.jpeg
    IMG_3404.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_3402.jpeg
    IMG_3402.jpeg
    121.8 KB · Views: 42
OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized didnt post this video yet either. It is probably easier to see what they are in this one. This is from the first FW dip like 1 minute after they came out of the gill in the earlier video I posted about 4 min into the dip overall.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Even if can’t ID further would also appreciate recommendations for best course of action in the display tank for the other fish.
I’ve already read a lot of threads on related but not the same issue and seems like Jay always giving good info about this, so along with all the other great people on here I’m sure when someone gets a chance ill get some more info.
In the meantime I’m being extra vigilant about the health of the DT.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it likely? Also copepods or isopods? In the morning I’ve seen either copepods or something similar on the glass but this has been since I seeded pods into the tank multiple times so not sure how I would know what the difference looks like.

Also, none of my fish show any signs of swollen gills or anything and they have all been together for a few months now. The last addition was late November. Clownfish, clown goby, rainford goby. I could probably catch them all easier than I caught the firefish to do a FW dip but they show no signs of anything, so I was thinking to not do that because it could cause stress and lead to other issues?
Sorry - the first “copepod” was a typo, I changed that to isopod. There are also free living copepods, but they are more detritivores and algae eaters.
ISO means equal - so isopods have equal feet. Copepods usually have larger appendages up front. There are also amphipods, called scuds.
Looking at you new pictures, I’d say these are indeed isopods.

Here is an article I did about crustacean fish parasites:

Jay

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - the first “copepod” was a typo, I changed that to isopod. There are also free living copepods, but they are more detritivores and algae eaters.
ISO means equal - so isopods have equal feet. Copepods usually have larger appendages up front. There are also amphipods, called scuds.
Looking at you new pictures, I’d say these are indeed isopods.

Here is an article I did about crustacean fish parasites:

Jay
Thanks Jay I actually found this and read it already. So what would you do regarding the display tank and other fish.

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/97ci...3516.mov?rlkey=p6jc1amzw64uaogka0rlqi7hn&dl=0

Checked my glass before lights went on in tank but these don’t look like what came out of my firefish gill. What came out of my firefish were all uniform size as if they were freshly hatched or born inside the fish. I checked my fish also and they don’t appear to have anything on their skin. So I don’t think what my firefish had is something that comes out at night to predate?

I can try and catch the fish (clownfish, clown goby, rainford goby) when possible for a FW dip but they appear fully healthy I really do not want to cause more stress than necessary.

Patx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized didnt post this video yet either. It is probably easier to see what they are in this one. This is from the first FW dip like 1 minute after they came out of the gill in the earlier video I posted about 4 min into the dip overall.

@Jay Hemdal have you see the video? :astonished-face:

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still image from the last linked video of the glass

Attachments

• IMG_3514.jpeg
    IMG_3514.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3510.jpeg
    IMG_3510.jpeg
    151.8 KB · Views: 25

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/97ci...3516.mov?rlkey=p6jc1amzw64uaogka0rlqi7hn&dl=0

Checked my glass before lights went on in tank but these don’t look like what came out of my firefish gill. What came out of my firefish were all uniform size as if they were freshly hatched or born inside the fish. I checked my fish also and they don’t appear to have anything on their skin. So I don’t think what my firefish had is something that comes out at night to predate?

I can try and catch the fish (clownfish, clown goby, rainford goby) when possible for a FW dip but they appear fully healthy I really do not want to cause more stress than necessary.

The animals in this video are not the same thing, these look like amphipods or maybe copepods. See how the eyes are not as distinct? Those deep black eyes in the previous videos (and having no antenna) are what makes me think that those were isopods.

Jay

OP
OP
S

softiesplease

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The animals in this video are not the same thing, these look like amphipods or maybe copepods. See how the eyes are not as distinct? Those deep black eyes in the previous videos (and having no antenna) are what makes me think that those were isopods.

Jay
Ok yes I agree they are not the same as previous videos (what came out of the inside of the firefish) I just wanted to confirm. I agree amphipods and some copepods I see both in person. So what’s your suggestion on what to do with my healthy appearing fish in my display tank?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also is what came out of firefish definitely the final/adult stage of whatever organism it is?

No, they could have been the manca stage of a gnathid isopod.

I'm at a disadvantage because whatever these are, they are not widely reported in the trade or literature. That means we have no basis to forecast how they will be towards other fish.

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 49 33.8%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 38 26.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 20.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 28 19.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back