Purple Queen Anthis Aggression

Lowefx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i noticed something strange the past 2 days. I have 2 purple queen anthias and ive had them about a year in my 120g. Never had any issues with them. They eat everything. As you can tell by the pics, one is vibrant purple, the other is developing spots and is very light in color. Ive noticed the darker one nipping at the pale one, which explains why its not eating as much, its skittish, and hiding a lot.

Is this normal? Are they both males and fighting for dominance?

4373c839b2b54ff887fba8a4b981fd27.jpg
78598269b46da8a81219e9a2e933d129.jpg
6f20873c57e5dc3bc6ba60239c31e526.jpg

MIKE NY

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably a dominance/ pecking order dispute with the winner possibly transitioning. I saw the same with mine. I kept a shoal
of them for over three years when the largest turned male and became aggressive not allowing the females out to eat. It was large enough to even try full size PE myiss and held its own in disputes with my Lyretails and Bartlett’s.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder why mine dont have uellow through them. And its hard for me to sex them.

Because there are two different species that get commonly referred to as purple queen. Tuka has the yellow, Pascalus does not.

Last edited:
U

User1

View Badges
Probably a dominance/ pecking order dispute with the winner possibly transitioning. I saw the same with mine. I kept a shoal
of them for over three years when the largest turned male and became aggressive not allowing the females out to eat. It was large enough to even try full size PE myiss and held its own in disputes with my Lyretails and Bartlett’s.

Sadly I just saw this with my Lyretails. The larger one started to become more and more aggressive not allowing the others to eat. They slowly starved to death. I could catch them and tried to spot feed in the area of rock they hid. Didn't help any. I was going to add another 8 or so to the 4 I already had but overall I didn't think the tank was mature enough with coral coverage on the rocks for better hiding and feeding cover. I doubt I will be purchasing anthias again.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 161 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back