Purple tang color change when sleeping

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After lights out and when he settles to sleep, he'll turn a very pale shade of purple grey with just a horizontal bar of his regular purple down his mid-sides.

I searched for this to see how common it was but didn't find much info. I did read they'll pale when stressed, but this occurs every night at rest and if the lights are turned back on he'll color up within 30 seconds or less. I'm guessing this is a camouflage response?

Pardon the dirty glass on the QT:

UDWdeoSh.jpg

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is completely normal for purple tangs, all zebrasoma genus tangs, most other tangs to some degree, and many other fish as well! :)

OP
OP
Sierra_Bravo

Sierra_Bravo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply. I asssumed it was a normal response; I just couldn't find much about it. I'll probably do a little online research tonight as I'd like to know the biologiocal mechanics behind how they actually alter their color. Do they possess chromatophores or is it by another process? Pretty neat.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m honestly not sure how, I’d love an explanation myself. I suspect inactivity leads to color loss, like blood rush makes us flush but that’s a complete stab in the dark.
Thanks for the reply. I asssumed it was a normal response; I just couldn't find much about it. I'll probably do a little online research tonight as I'd like to know the biologiocal mechanics behind how they actually alter their color. Do they possess chromatophores or is it by another process? Pretty neat.

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy amni glad this was here. Almost freaked out. Just gotta new baby purple tang from my lfs seen this for the first time just now. Mine has a black patch like in the pic and it looks like a tiny whit patch above the black one only at night. Pretty cool

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You think thats odd, you should see a mandarin sleeping. They look like their dead with absolutely 0 color.

Quite a few fish loose their color, or fade coloring when sleeping.

Joem820

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It certainly freaked me out the first few times i turned on the lights. Not gonna lie, if i don't think about it i still have a few seconds of panic.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'cuss no one take picture of their fish in the dark.

Back