Purple Tang compatability

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like to get feedback on whether I can add a purple tang to my 180 G tank. I currently have a 5" Naso tang, 3" yellow tang, 2" blue tang and a 4" Sailfin Desjardini tang. All are getting along well. Will a purple tang get along or am I asking for trouble?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any time you add conspecifics there is the potential for trouble. That said, the personalities of your individual fish would be the deciding factors.
Purple's can be aggressive, but that may work in your favor at this point. I would keep an eye on the yellow and sailfin for signs of aggression. Having a larger tank definitely helps

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are planning on keeping the sailfin, then I wouldn't risk another Zebrasoma sp tang.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s completely random. I have a naso, yellow and purple in my 180 and it works fine. My buddy had a purple that was a complete terror with nearly everything. Luck of the draw unfortunately.

FishLipz

Cheap and Easy Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm much more concerned about the eventual huge sailfin in this case.

Quite possibly. It’s all about the size of the fight in the fish. I had to rehome a 2.5 inch tomato clown in a 180 gallon tank because it would abuse fish 3-4 times it’s size.

I’m of the belief that everything in this hobby is with some risk and I’ve been surprised both good and bad at times. Without risk there are no gains. Just be prepared with a plan to mitigate that risk if at all possible. Failing to have a contingency plan would be irresponsible.

OP
OP
C

Campy10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still on the fence with the purple tang. Local refer has one for sale that has been in his tank for a while, I always wanted one but I need to decide if I want to take the risk of disrupting fish that are all getting along. As has been said, any change carries risk.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely gonna be a risk. Our purple was aggressive with any new fish let alone one that looked like him. 180 gallons is a good size but the tangs you have will get pretty large so agression will probably be an issue.

jmccown

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple, yellow and desjardini in my 300 with no problems.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends a lot on the individual temperament. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn’t. Purple tends to be the most aggressive of the zebrasomas so adding it last isn’t a bad thing.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a crap shoot IMO. I have had two purple tangs. One was very laid back and got abused by my Atlantic Blue tang. The other was a holy terror and killed a larger Gold Rim tang.

I have a 72x24 and have been very unlucky. I've never been able to keep two tangs together in my tank and have given up and just have one tang now.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all depends on individual fish. I have Achilles, yellow, hippo, tomini, yellow eye kole and a purple tang. They are all ok with each other in a 250gal.
They all were bought and qt together. At first they showed aggression mostly between purple and hippo. Some aggression with yellow then I used separaters and aggression died down over few days.
Every now and then I see them chasing around a little but nothing more. All fish are about 4" to 6"
They were all 2" when purchased.

Last edited:

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 21.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.5%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 149 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.9%
Back