Purple tang possibly Ich

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I had an ich outbreak a few months back tank when fallow for 72 days all fish were treated with copper. Now all the fish are back in the DT got 3 new fish one of which was my purple tang he was treated with copper along with the 3 other BUT seems like my purple tang has spots. He’s eating fine and is very active. He’s been fighting with my Naso and orange shoulder tangs maybe its injuries?

Attachments

• IMG_1741.mov
    57.4 MB
OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t notice any spots on any other fish. The purple tangs been like this for a week maybe

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello I had an ich outbreak a few months back tank when fallow for 72 days all fish were treated with copper. Now all the fish are back in the DT got 3 new fish one of which was my purple tang he was treated with copper along with the 3 other BUT seems like my purple tang has spots. He’s eating fine and is very active. He’s been fighting with my Naso and orange shoulder tangs maybe its injuries?

Tangs are subject to developing "mucus plugs" that mimic marine ich. However, in your video, I see spots on the fish's fins. That is more in line with how ich develops, the mucus plugs are seen just on the fish's body, which ich trophonts can show up on the fins.

To confirm it is ich - watch some spots in a particular section of the fish (taking a photo helps to do this). Then, look at that area of the fish every day - if the spots change location and change in relative numbers, then it is most likely ich. Mucus plugs tend to stay in the same numbers in the same location for days at a time.

This does look like ich to me though......

Jay

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs are subject to developing "mucus plugs" that mimic marine ich. However, in your video, I see spots on the fish's fins. That is more in line with how ich develops, the mucus plugs are seen just on the fish's body, which ich trophonts can show up on the fins.

To confirm it is ich - watch some spots in a particular section of the fish (taking a photo helps to do this). Then, look at that area of the fish every day - if the spots change location and change in relative numbers, then it is most likely ich. Mucus plugs tend to stay in the same numbers in the same location for days at a time.

Jay
I’m about to requarantine them all and start with a new tank. Ive had very bad luck with ich since I started and quarantine all my fish so idk what im doing wrong here but its getting annoying and costly to keep replacing fish. All my fish are currently in a 75 gallon tank but I just picked up a 125 gallon which will be their new home it’s going to take me a few weeks to set up because I’m probably going to have to reinforce the floor beneath it. I have a 29 gallon, 10 gallon and 5 gallon QT tanks they’ll all go into. I’m hoping the bigger tank will help them stay healthy

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just noticed some of the fish have spots on their fins… so most likely I’m dealing with another outbreak of ich?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just noticed some of the fish have spots on their fins… so most likely I’m dealing with another outbreak of ich?
Sounds like it. Coppersafe or Hyposalinity are the two best treatment options. Do you need help choosing which way to go?

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it. Coppersafe or Hyposalinity are the two best treatment options. Do you need help choosing which way to go?
I’ve been using copper power since I started would that be okay or should I get coppersafe? Also should I treat with general cure as well incase of Uronema and worms?

Attachments

• IMG_1758.jpeg
    IMG_1758.jpeg
    116.7 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1759.mov
    67.8 MB

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been using copper power since I started would that be okay or should I get coppersafe? Also should I treat with general cure as well incase of Uronema and worms?

Copper Power is esentially the same as coppersafe, so you're good there.

General Cure on't help with Uronema (nothing really does). Gneral Cure does help against external flukes. Unless the fish are acratching a lot though, I would wait until the copper treatment is done and then dose with GC or prazipro.

Jay

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

General Cure on't help with Uronema (nothing really does). Gneral Cure does help against external flukes. Unless the fish are acratching a lot though, I would wait until the copper treatment is done and then dose with GC or prazipro.

Jay

Thank you for the advise as always Jay. I have 2 questions i usually QT for 14 days at 2.3-2.5 PP
BUT my LFS told me today that I should do it got 30 days. what about dosing formalin after copper treatment is done for uronema? I’m starting a brand new tank so right now I’m in the middle of tearing everything down starting from scratch so ensure a parasite and disease invitemrnt

OP
OP
B

bshake

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Oh the first question is 14 days enough or should I do 30 days of copper treatment?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh the first question is 14 days enough or should I do 30 days of copper treatment?
30 days for amine-based copper products is standard.

Jay

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could use some help if possible

Can you outline your case?

Here is a post about our quarantine process:

Here is a post about hyposalinity:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back