Purple Tang Trio?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Who here has successfully kept two or three purple tangs, and who has tried and failed?

I'm building up a 230 gallon tank, and due to the whole Hawaii thing I had to scrap my idea of a bunch of yellow tangs. Got turned onto the idea of a pair or trio of purple tangs.

However I keep hearing from some people, not many, but enough to cause concern, that doing so with basically be instigating Fight Club to the Death in my tank. Something I would very much like to not have with $600 in fish.

As I understand it, the best way if get them small, and get them together. And probably added last, or near last in the stocking order. However, I have promised a friend to buy his purple tang along with some other livestock and rock when he takes down his tank. It's about 1.5x the size of the average purple in a store, and because of his time frame, odds are I'll have that tang before I can get the others, but I could keep it in a different tank for a bit before going into the Display.

Really hoping to know for sure before I buy a bunch of expensive fish, because once they go in my display, getting them out will be nearly impossible.

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow, purple, sailfin, and at one point 2 scopas tangs all in a 260g tank. The sailfin and scopas were added at the same time. Eventually one of the scopas would chase the other around. Then I added a yellow tang. He fought with the scopas for a day or two, but nothing too crazy. That seemed to calm down the agression between the scopas and they settled down. Then I added the purple.....and it was on. The scopas went into kill mode. Thankfully I had the purple in an acclimation box. I took the scopas out for about 6 weeks. Reintroduced them, I eventually had to re-home the scopas because they started going after the purple again. The scopas never attacked each other after I added the yellow. So you might be taking a chance, but I think you're best shot is too get ones that are all similar size and add them at the same time.

OP
OP
Hugh Mann

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow, purple, sailfin, and at one point 2 scopas tangs all in a 260g tank. The sailfin and scopas were added at the same time. Eventually one of the scopas would chase the other around. Then I added a yellow tang. He fought with the scopas for a day or two, but nothing too crazy. That seemed to calm down the agression between the scopas and they settled down. Then I added the purple.....and it was on. The scopas went into kill mode. Thankfully I had the purple in an acclimation box. I took the scopas out for about 6 weeks. Reintroduced them, I eventually had to re-home the scopas because they started going after the purple again. The scopas never attacked each other after I added the yellow. So you might be taking a chance, but I think you're best shot is too get ones that are all similar size and add them at the same time.

Thanks. I figured that would be about my only shot, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to do that. At least not the similar size bit. How well did the sailfin get along with the purple? I'm thinking about adding one to my list.

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same with my Hippo. First one to sleep, even before the blues shut off for the night.

How did you add the purples, together/similar size?
I did them in two batches. purples went in first. Got them from @NYAquatic then added the two yellows and blue From blue zoo. I think in was like 3 days between adding them. All were +/- 2”

DrMMI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I figured that would be about my only shot, but it doesn't look like I'll be able to do that. At least not the similar size bit. How well did the sailfin get along with the purple? I'm thinking about adding one to my list.
My sailfin is my best behaved tang. He never has any issues with any other fish. Hangs out with my foxface a lot. The only tangs that still squabble a little are my blonde naso and unicorn tang. Every now and then they'll smack each other around, but it's only at night so I don't know if they're fighting over sleeping spots or what. And my purple tang occasionally chases my yellow coris wrasse around. Otherwise, everyone is getting along great. It probably helped that I had to go fallow so everyone was reintroduced back into the tank at the exact same time.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had two purple tangs, first one for 17 years, the current one now for 7. Both bloody minded and I’d never try multiples. How about a group of yellow pyramids. They get along fine.

40FA15A4-FF87-4C54-A7CA-964C21D36717.png

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 100 gallon tank so that’s good to know.
People would say I might have to many fish for my 100 but the tank is handling the load

2 purples
2 yellow
1 blue
lawnmower
Bellus Angelfish female (looking for a male)
paired clowns
Emperor Angelfish
Paired mandarins
6-line

just waiting on a moorish idol to finish it out.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wow nice you have a 17-year old Purple Tang? How big is it and how big is the younger one?

Have either of them struggled with disease?
Had. Sold off my system in 2009 and the PT went too. May still be alive, dunno. Was about 7" snout to tail. Bought a new one in early 2014. i QT all fish. PT had a bit of ich initially, but easily resolved. No disease problems since. It's about 6" - hasn't grown much for a few years. Nice and plump and tells me he's happy. Bloody minded ba$**** though; almost killed my gem tang.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talk to a lady today, has 5 purples in a 750g. Notice the tank size but says they all get along great. She grew them up together from under 2", looked to be over 5" now.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back